RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My domestic fridge has loss the power board/module for the…

Customer Question
My domestic fridge has...

My domestic fridge has loss the power board/module for the third time. Any thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2015 Montana High country 5th wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the Pontiac in?

?

Mechanic's Assistant: What confuses you?

What is a pontiac

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had no power so I had a mobile RV repair service check it. He found the power board bad and replaced it ,a year later same thing. Now again

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Doesn't work on propane when broke

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
3/19/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

ThanksThe model num isRM1350SLMX

The fridge requires DC voltage to turn on and work. Under the outside access panel you should see a small plastic terminal block, this is where the DC wires get screwed down to into the block. You should show over 12 volts at that point.

Some Dometic's have a small round disc on the flue canister it is a high limit. When that trips it cuts power off to the fridge. The flue is the vertical pipe the heating takes place, below is a picture of the high limit, it is about the size of a quarter and has a tiny button on it, when it pops out it prevents voltage back to the board. You may have metal cover on the bottom with a wiring diagram on it that has to be removed to see the high limit.

One thing that can take boards out is if you have a faulty power converter, if the converter failed it can put out dirty voltage or AC ripple. To test for that set your meter to the AC scale and check at the DC terminal block, if you show any AC voltage it would be an issue, this step often gets missed and if you had AC voltage on the DC supply would explain the board failures. You also want to check all the wiring on the board, make sure nothing is loose.

Robert

HIGH LIMIT

Thanks, ***** ***** common?

The high limit tripping yes. A power converter issue not as common but it can happen. Another way to test is to run power and ground direct to the terminal block from the battery so you bypass all the wiring in the RV.

Robert

Ok thanks

No problem at all.

Robert