RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2019 heartland big country gcfi tripped in bathroom and

2019 heartland big country...

2019 heartland big country gcfi tripped in bathroom and won’t reset. Breakers are on. No outlets or microwave work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked all breakers and fuses. I checked wires at GCFI.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

There is a breaker panel and fuse panel next to each other.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

We are on a trip to the East coast from Tucson. I’m pretty handy, looking for suggestions.

3/8/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please give me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Okay, thanks.

Try this to start.

Shut off all the breakers inside the RV, next go unplug from shore power and shut the supply breaker post OFF. Plug back into power and then turn the supply breaker back ON and then turn the breakers back on one at a time in the RV. IF you have an inverter go to the inverter and make sure you do not have a tripped breaker, most all inverters will have one or two breakers on them, they can be small round buttons or switches. Hard for me to say if you have one as sometimes it is an option. An inverter allows you to have AC power when you are NOT plugged in.

Make sure you also do not have another GFCI that is not hiding on you, they like to stick them in the bathroom and or galley areas but they can be located just about anywhere else including the outside.

I also might try another supply source if at all possible.

Robert

I am not plugged in to shore power. We are on the road and I’m using the generator. All lights and fridge work. Is the investor behind the breaker panel? I don’t see it.We could not find a second GCFI.

OK

Responding now, give me a few mins.

Robert

Okay

IF that is the case check the breakers on the generator, all generators will have one or two breakers on them. Sometimes you have to remove a side panel on the generator to get at them.

Not all RV's have an invertrer, you would have a remote panel inside the RV that allows you to turn it ON and OFF when you need the AC power, generally the inverter would be located outside the RV, in a storage compartment, close to the batteries.

Robert

Ok. I'll check and get back to you.

Sounds good.

Robert

No breakers near the generator or in outside compartments. I turned off all the breakers and turned them back on. No power to any inside outlets, tv’s, microwave etc.

The breakers would be on the generator, what is the make and model of the generator?

Robert

Cummings Onan. It is sealed unit.Could it be the GCFI outlet. The RV is less than one year old. And, everything worked on prior trips.

The Onan would have a breaker on it. Can you please get me the model, some Onans you have to remove a side panel and then you will see a start stop switch for the generator and the breaker is next to that looks like an on/off switch.

OG 5500 LP.
It is in a sealed compartment.

I understand but if the breaker is tripped on it could be your problem, let me get some info on that generator.

Robert

See link below page 32.

The breakers are under the panel, the way that panel comes off is you should be able to move it towards you at the top a few inches and then pull straight up. I am not sure if it is fully enclosed how you would get at the panel, that would be a poor design by the RV manufacturer. IF the breaker on the generator was tripped it could be the issue you here.

Robert

https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.com/owners/3rdparty/Cummins-Onan-RV-Generator-Handbook.pdf

I found the switches on the generator. A 30 and 30 amp. I turned them off then on. Now microwave works, but GCFI still won’t reset.

IF the GFCI will not reset it could be bad OR you have another issue at one of the other outlets, these are all tied together so if you had an issue at one outlet the others are going to stop working.

IF you have an inverter you still want to check that as well for a tripped breaker.

I might check all the non working outlets, look for any loose, melted wires, replace the GFCI and then if you still have the same problem have a tech or shop have a look.

Make sure you isolate the AC power when checking the outlets.

Robert

I turned off the breakers on the interior panel after resetting the ones on the generator, and the GCFI reset! Outlets are now working.
Thank you!
This is a great service!

So glad I could help you out on this, good job sticking with it!

Please feel free to request me in the future with any RV related questions.

Have a great evening. Robert

Thanks Robert! My wife is very happy.

Happy Wife, Happy Life... LOL. I know all about that.

Have a good one.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert,
Having another problem with one of our power recliners. Can you help with that?

We answer per issue, you would have to open another question. IF you do open another question the make and model of the recliner may help.

Robert

Ok