RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My furnace starts the fan but does not start the burner. I…

Good Morning Robert, My...

Good Morning Robert, My furnace starts the fan but does not start the burner. I have gas, I have verified it by starting a gas burner on the stove. I have cycled the furnace on and off a couple of time via the thermostat

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

This is a travel trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Coleman 2515RLS 2019

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried cycling the power via the themostat, I have made certain the cylinders have propane

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its cold ?

2/26/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.
Thanks, Robert

The key is if the electrode is sparking or not. IF the electrode is not sparking it could be low battery voltage, faulty sail switch or possibly the circuit board.

AS the fan comes up to speed it blows on a sail switch which sits inside the housing for the blower motor, when the sail switch closes and makes contact it sends voltage to the circuit board, only then do you get spark, you should hear the electrode sparking and a single click from the gas valve.

Check your battery voltage and make sure it is not under 12 volts, DC, what can happen is the fan can slow down and not be able to close the sail switch.

IF you have access to the circuit board I might pull the board and have a local RV shop test the board for you, this can be accomplished with a special board tester.

IF the board checks good then a continuity check would need to be done to the sail switch to see if it is passing voltage.

The problem on newer RV's is most do not have an outside access panel and the furnace would need to be pulled, in the shop you are probably looking at 3 hours plus parts if needed.

Also if the furnace has been sitting for some time get an air nozzle and blow out the exhaust sometimes mud daubers small rodents can make nests inside the burner chamber, when this happens the air flow is not correct.

IF it is sparking but not lighting off I would cycle the main LP tank valve, shut the valve SLOWLY open it back up, sometimes if the valve is opened to fast the regulator might lock up and you may not get the proper pressure, I understand the other LP appliances are working.

I would also blow out the exhaust and have the board tested.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic