RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a dometic rm2551 refrigerator that stops cooling.

I have a dometic...

I have a dometic rm2551 refrigerator that stops cooling. Upon recommendation, I removed the refrigerator and turned it upside down for an hour or so and then reinstalled it into the camper. The frig works for a month or two and then stops again. I have done this twice and it worked both times. I just checked it again, after sitting for about two months and it is not working again. Should I just buy a new refrigerator?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

The frig was manufactured in 2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was told that the compressor was probably clogged and to try the turning over technique. That is all I tried.

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/20/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

No problem. One more thing is that, when the frig does not cool, it is the same for electric and with propane.I don't think I am at that point yet.

This fridge has no compressor, it has an ammonia solution inside the cooling unit that gets heated from the AC heating element or LP (propane). The ammonia solution circulates through the boiler vessel and tubes and allows the fridge to cool. What can happen when the cooling unit becomes blocked that ammonia solution stops moving and then the fridge will stop cooling. So what you are actually doing when you flip the fridge is clearing the blockage and it is allowing the fridge to run again. The fridge needs to sit level at all times, if it is un-level it can cause blockage.

So the cooling unit or a new fridge would be needed. A new cooling unit cost about 1/2 of what a new fridge will. IF it cooled on one source and not the other it would not be a cooling unit issue.
The other component that can cause this no cooling on BOTH sources is the thermistor.

What you can do is go to the outside access panel and disconnect the thermistor from the circuit board, when you do this the fridge should go into a full cooling cycle. IF the box cools I would replace it.

The circuit board has a plastic cover, the connector is a two wire connector that sits directly under a 6 wire connector, disconnect the 2 wire connector and let the fridge run for about 4 hours and see if the box cools.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert

Below is a link for a service manual so you can see the thermistor connector, see page 11.

Robert

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Dometic-Diagnostic-Service-Manual-RM2551.pdf

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thanks for the idea. It is pretty cold here in Missouri yet. I will probably wait a couple of weeks to try that. It does seem worth the effort. Thanks. ***** have an issue with your rec I will be back in touch. Have a good one.

I want to point out if it is VERY cold, talking 10 F or less the fridge can loose heat transfer and stop cooling, a drop light on the back side of the fridge may help with that. We see that question all the time when the temps get very cold for a prolonged period.

Robert