RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Im trying to light pilot light for water heater ..can you…

Im trying to light...

Im trying to light pilot light for water heater ..can you send me any pictures 1994 Fleetwood Southwind

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Pilot light for the water heater

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just want to light it and get the water hot

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just want to make sure it is done properly

1/31/2020
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome to Just Answer I'm Chris aka Moose. I try to be online from 12 pm-4 pm and 9 pm-4 am.

I know you asked for pictures but there are several different water heaters that could be installed. I did not want to load you down with images for many different models and images that you may not need. Here is a video showing the 2 more common models https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfJHEHlTsXI You need to do just as he mentions. If both of the W/H he shows are not like yours, let me know what model you have. In the event it does not light, there may be air in the propane line and it may take a few minutes to get the propane to the W/H. If you have to hold the pilot light down a while to get gas to the W/H make sure to blow it the hole a few times to blow out the built-up excess propane so you do not lose your eyebrows. If the event it lights but will not stay lite then the thermocouple is faulty.

Please make sure to press the REPLY button and let me know when you're satisfied with my answer and when you still need assistance. Thanks for using Just Answer and letting me help you. Chris aka Moose

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
It's not like that one in video...1994 Fleetwood Southwind.. I got this used and I think it's missing a couple of parts...do you have any pics of this model

I will need to see pictures o yours to see what model W/H was installed or if you can get me the name brand and model number from the W/H. Sorry, yours was not like either in the video I sent. I can not look at it by the year and model of the RV. There is not a standard for what they install, it can change year to year based on who they contract with to get the parts cheapest.

Okay...i will be able to get you better pictures in couple of hours...im in California and it's 3am...os that ok

Not a problem at all. It is 5 am here in TN and time for me to get to bed.

Okay, I have a lot more information now that's daylight West coast time...

I am online now, can you send me some pictures?

Sure.. s
Hopefully this helps

Looking them over now.

Do you still need picture of the water heater itself?

Can you get me a picture of the gas valve? This is what a valve looks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VSzUUX04xg Look at the 6:15 time stamp.

Im from Lebanon TN....San Diego California is my favorite

Do you live in Lebanon TN now? Near cedars of Lebanon state park?

I have a house out of Bluebird Extension on the corner, my neice stays there for now. Lol

This model is an auto lighting model, you do not have to light the pilot light. You turn the W/H on from inside the camper. When you turn on the W/H on, can you hear clicking coming from the W/H and smell propane?

PS. I live on the west side of Nashville.

West side Nashville...yeah that's the place to be!! Hey I can call youIm in the Rv now...if

I am near Montgomery Bell State Park.

A call would have to be set up on your end. I can not do it from my side. There is also a fee to swap to a call.

If you have a helper. Have them turn on the switch for the W/H while you are at the heater to smell for propane and listen and look for the igniter trying to ignite the fuel.

Okay. I understand totally...i turned on the water heater inside and didn't hear any clicking...

Did you smell any propane? If you unplug the igniter and voltage test the output. Do you get pulsing DC voltage when someone turns the W/H on?

Now you have me stumped...im more than willingly pay for the call...
Is this the igniter

The single red wire into the tube in the bottom right corner is the igniter that lights the propane.

Ok...great!! Still smell no propane at all...Do we need to flip any of these

The only switch you have to turn is the one for the W/H. Do you have tools to test the control board on the water heater and to remove the fuel regulator to see if you are even able to get propane to the W/H?

No, I guess it's time for a tech company to come out or can i take it somewhere..
Thank you for all of your help!!

You are welcome, glad I could help. You can still follow up anytime on this concern or request me for future questions.

Chris aka Moose

Awesome!! Always great to have another Tennessean

We are the Volunteer to help state.

I hear that all the time...this rv belongs to my boss out here....i want a newer model...

We upgraded to a new Jayco 34RSBS travel trailer in August 2017 and we love it. We camp 80-100 days a year.

Wow!! I am excited about finding the right one, it's going to help a lot going back and forth mid tn to west coast...i just got my 2019 Dodge Rebel sport cab last March. This year the camper ..

Best of luck to you.