RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our GFI blew on our 2000 Tradewinds. We reset the breaker at…

Our GFI blew on our...
Our GFI blew on our 2000 Tradewinds. We reset the breaker at the main panel and half of the outlets returned to normal (galley area). However the outlets in the bathroom, Tv and the dinette area remain dead. We reset the two buttons on the inverter as well- still no power to the plugs. Help? We were told there is a third reset button accessible from the exterior of the RV but we cannot locate it- Help?
1/19/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Ok

I would try this to start.

Shut off all the breakers in the main breaker panel. Go unplug the shore line and shut the breaker OFF. Turn the inverter OFF.

Plug back into power and turn the supply breaker back ON, then go inside the RV and turn on all the breakers and turn the inverter on.

It was very good you checked the inverter most inverters have one or two breakers on them and they can be small round buttons or switches. Many owners are unaware of them.

IF you still have no power to the outlets then it really sounds like you have another GFI hiding on you, it is hard to say where it would be as they move per year and model. Look outside in all the compartments and where the fridge is plugged in as a general rule they are in the kitchen and bathroom areas but can be located just about anywhere else including the outside.

Beyond that you could check each non working outlet and make sure you have no melted wires, if you do that isolate all the AC power.

Robert

We think we have a GFI hiding on us but can’t find it anywhereWe were hoping to get help on locating it

Understand and it is very hard for me to tell you where it would be as each year and model they move them around. I would take a really good look outside look in the compartment in back of the entry step, I want to say some electrical stuff is in that area. Hard to keep track where they stick components for each year and model.

Robert

Thanks

No problem.

Robert

It reset!!!! Thanks for help

Glad I could help some.

Have a great evening.

Robert

You did!

Good deal!

Robert

Would a 50 amp to 30 amp make the difference?We did that too...

On a 50 amp service you have two hot legs of 110 volts coming into the RV to equal 220 volts, not 220 direct. A 30 amp service is 1 hot leg of 110 coming in, so it is possible you would loose some AC power on a 30 amp as the RV is set up for a 50 amp service, you would be missing a leg of 110 on 30 amp.

Robert

Thanks again!

No problem at all!

Glad I could help.

Robert

Looks like powering down the inverter did the trick- when we brought it back on the power returned to the remaining outlets

Good job.....

Thanks for the update.

Robert

Thanks!!

No problem.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic