RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I’m trying to winterize a coachmen freedom express liberty…

Hello, I’m trying to...

Hello, I’m trying to winterize a coachmen freedom express liberty edition for a friend and I haven’t done it before. I believe it’s a 2011. I was wondering if I could get help

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive opened all the faucets on shower, sinks, and shower outside. I’ve removed the plug on water heater (black plug on right side of trailer?) and a white plug on bottom of trailer towards the back. I’m just not sure where everything is, if it has a water heater bypass or not and the steps. Looking online for help but everything is so vague. Hoping this will help more

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Not that I’ve noticed where is the coolant?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Idk, I’ve never done this before I just want to make sure I’m doing it right

12/11/2019
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Hello, I'm Chris aka-Moose. Thanks for giving us a shot at helping you out. Please try to give me thorough information so I can help you to the best of my ability. If my responses are over technical or you need more detail, just reply and let me know. There will be a phone call pop up on your screen from the website, I can do most calls if needed.
--

I have a Jayco 34RSBS. Let me tell you how I winterize and see if you like that procedure.

1. I run the faucet on the electric pump to drain the tank and or lines to and from the pump. Then turn the pump off
  2. Drain the water heater then recap
  3. I winterize with air, I hate the taste of antifreeze in my lines
  4. I have an air attachment to connect to the freshwater inlet on the outside of the camper at 50 psi.
  5. I open each faucet for one minute on cold, then hot, at the kitchen, bathroom, shower, toilet. Then I repeat and do it once again for each.
  6. I then do the same at the outdoor shower spray handle
  7. I then remove the compressed air fitting and hose.
  8. Open the water heater drain again then replace it once empty. I have a quarter-turn valve I installed here since I winterize about 5 times a year being we camp off an on in the winter.
  9. Open the gray and black tanks to let them drain
  10. Open the fresh tank drains under the camper near the fresh tank and fresh tank fill port
  11. Open the low point drains often near the fresh tank drains.
  12. Pour 2 cups of antifreeze into each drain for the P traps
  13. Done

Now if you choose to fill the lines with antifreeze you would

1. Open the fresh tank and low point drains
  2. Close once empty
  3. Drain the water heater
  4. Remove the panel to expose the water pump
  5. Turn all valves in opposite direction they are currently in
  6. Attach the winterizing hose to a gallon jug of antifreeze
  7. Turn on the pump
  8. Open each faucet, cold then hot, and flush the toilet, do not forget the outside shower
  9. Once you see the pink stuff no longer diluted coming out then stop there.
  10. Shut off the pump, turn all valves back the other direction
  11. Drain the black and gray tanks
  12. Done
  13. It is ready to hook up freshwater and flush a lot to rid the antifreeze once you go camping in the spring.

--

Thanks for letting me help you. If any part of my first answer did not cover all that you needed. Please reply or follow up anytime and let me know that more help is needed. I hope I provided what you were looking for and have earned a 5-star rating. Have a great day, Chris.

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic