RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Furnice won't light. Electric ingitor. 1997 jayco rk3030…

Furnice won't light Mechanic's...

Furnice won't light

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Electric ingitor

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

1997 jayco rk3030 designer fith wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm doing it myself I can get blower to come on but no heat

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Mo

11/28/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks.

Robert

IT really matters if the electrode is sparking or not, as the blower motor comes up to speed it blows on a sail switch, once the sail switch closes it passes voltage to the circuit board via a high limit. SO if you have NO sparking then it could be low, voltage, faulty sail switch, high limit or circuit board.

Make sure you have good DC battery voltage, if the voltage was under 12 volts the fan can slow down and not close the sail switch. IF you have good voltage I would locate the circuit board and have it tested, most good RV shops will have a special board tester and can test the board for you, it is the heart of the furnace.

IF the circuit board tests good then you have to check continuity through the sail switch and high limit.

IF the electrode IS sparking and you smell propane let me know and I can cover some more items for you. When you troubleshoot it is a process of elimination.

Robert

Electrode is not sparking

Correct so need to check everything I mentioned. IF you need a service manual get me the make and model.

Robert

Need a manual 1997 jayco rk 3030 designer

I would need to know if the furnace is an Atwood or Suburban. I don't have any manuals for the RV. I should be able to find one for the furnace.

Robert

Even if I'm hook up to 120 volts

I have told you everything you need to check. IF you can get me the make and model of the furnace I can send you a service manual for the furnace. You always have to start with the basics and you are going to need a volt meter. You should check the battery voltage at the battery. As I stated if the voltage was under 12 volts the fan can slow down and it needs max voltage to spin fast enough to close the sail switch, then it passes voltage to the board and then the electrode will spark.

Robert

Atwood model # 8531-111

Below is a link for you for the Atwood's it should help you out on this, make sure you read the order of operation and think you will understand what I am talking about. NO spark, sail switch, high limit, low voltage or circuit board.

ALSO if the furnace sat over the summer get an air nozzle and blow out the intake and exhaust sometimes mud daubers can get into the burner chamber and make nests, when this happens it cuts down the air flow.

Robert

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic