RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I ran out of propane, refilled tanks now my furnace won’t…

I ran out of...

I ran out of propane, refilled tanks now my furnace won’t light, stove runs fine and water heater lights instantly

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Furnace won’t ignite

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2020 keystone passport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passport yourself? What have you tried so far?

Purged air out of gas lines

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Blower on furnace kicks on but won’t ignite

11/28/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Go back the the LP tank and shut the valve and slowly open it back up, sometimes if the valve is opened tp fast the regulator can lock up and you may not get the proper pressure. Slowly open the valve and then light off the burners and let them run for several mins and then try the furnace again, it might take several tries if you ran out of propane for it to get going again. You should also be hearing a click from the gas solenoid and the electrode trying to spark, if that is NOT happening then it is not an issue with the propane.

Robert

Thanks I’ve let tried that and let the stove run for 10-15 minutes so I believe the problem isn’t a propane supply issue, blower kicks on but I can’t hear the electrode sparking. Not sure if there’s some kind of safety lockout glitch

Give me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks.

Robert

As the blower motor comes up to speed it blows on a sail switch, when the sail switch completes the circuit it passes voltage to the board via a high limit ONLY then would you get spark, it would NOT matter if the LP is on or off, it should still spark. Check your battery voltage, if the voltage was below 12 volts the fan can slow down but still turn ON but not fast enough to close the sail switch. Could be a problem with the sail switch or circuit board. Some furnaces have a reset on them as well, it would be an on/off switch and you might want to take a quick look for that.

I doubt it is a propane issue if the electrode is not sparking after the fan comes on, that should not matter, if the fan is spinning fast enough the electrode should start to spark.

Robert

Sounds like the sail switch may be messed up or the circuit board, battery is fully charged and and I’m plugged into 110 outlet. I pulled the cover off outside definitely no sound of a spark, looked at the owners manual supposed to be a led that will blink a trouble code but I’m not seeing anything on it, it’s a Dometic furnaceI will try to look for a reset switch again

I might have this looked t under warranty, IF you have access to the board and can remove it a local RV shop should be able to test it. Most good RV shops have a special board tester and can tell if it is the problem or not.

Robert

Ok only second time using the camper I was hoping it was maybe a simple reset sounds like it’s time to pull it to town next week

Yes you need to be careful what you touch, if the fan is coming on and you have good voltage then there is a problem if it is not sparking, best to let the dealer have a look at it.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic