RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an Atwood 91043 gas valve on my water heater and the…

I have an Atwood...

I have an Atwood 91043 gas valve on my water heater and the pilot flame is very sooty and is building up carbon in and around the thermal couple and in the burner tunnel. Is this a pilot flame adjustment issue or is something else going on?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

I am not aware of any coolant levels or hoses to check?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Pilot?

I have a 2003 NorthStar Pop-up Camper with a 6 gallon water heater.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well I was looking for a flame adjustment on the Atwood 91043 valve but can't find one. Just wondering if adjustment is the answer of if the valve may be going bad.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

To start off it is always advised to have the LP pressure checked, we have to assume the pressure is good. In the shop a manometer is used to check the pressure if the pressure was off then it could cause this issue. You also do have an adjustment with an air shutter, see the link provided below on page 9 you can try adjusting that and see if that helps out any. Beyond that being 16 years old I might replace the valve, the new part number is ***** # 91602.

Hope this helps.

Service manual.

http://waterheatertimer.org/pdf/Atwood-Water-Heater-Service-manual.pdf

Thanks Robert,
The main burner ignites and burns very clean. No yellow flame or carbon there. Just the pilot flame burning very dirty and smoky.

Sounds like the valve is the issue if it is original I would replace it, the new part number should be the 91602 but whoever you order from make sure you verify.

Still would not hurt at some point to have the LP pressure checked out, should be done yearly.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic