RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Norcold refrigerator stopped working. All lights are

Customer Question
My Norcold refrigerator stopped...

My Norcold refrigerator stopped working. All lights are green. We've tried propane and electric.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know the model of your Norcold fridge? How old is it?

It is brand new 2020, model n8x

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

Started yesterday afternoon

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Checked the breakers and the fault codes nothing applies. We've also shut it off and turned it on and tried running it on electric.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
11/3/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So you are saying the box is not cooling on BOTH LP and electric, the control panel appears to be working normally and you have NO fault codes?

Have you tried running it on each source for at least 6 hours?

Robert

We ran it off the generator and the propane each for more than 6 hours

OK

Please give me a few mins to type a response.

Robert

Normally when you get NO or poor cooling in the box on BOTH LP and AC power AND you are getting no faults on the display the cooling unit is suspect.

A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked. Make sure the fridge is level, if the cooling unit sits off level it can cause a blockage, once a cooling unit is blocked then it needs to be replaced. The other issue is if it was not installed properly at the factory or in delivery of the cooling unit, I have seen that happen before on brand new units, the dealer should have tested the fridge.

You could try tapping the cooling unit coils on the back of the fridge with a rubber mallet, sometimes that can help clear a blockage but NO guaranties.

I would advise to have the dealer have a look, a new cooling unit is very expensive but being a 2020 it would be covered under warranty if you are not at fault and that would be letting the fridge sit off level, do not mention that if that is the case.

Robert

Not sure if this means anything but yesterday before it stopped working I changed the setting from 5 to 4 because everything seemed very cold. Also, we're parked on an incline where the front end is up and the rear is lowThank you very much!

Ugh... IF you are on an incline that very well could be the problem.

Get the fridge level and let it sit for a few hours OFF, tap the coils on the back of the fridge with a rubber mallet.

DO not tell the dealer you had this unlevel sure way to loose 1200 on a new cooling unit.

I would just tell them it stopped working and you do not know why.

Robert

Thank you! Thank you!

No problem at all.

Robert