RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Atwood Heater won’t stay lit it just lights shuts off and…

Customer Question
My Atwood Heater won’t...

My Atwood Heater won’t stay lit it just lights shuts off and tries again...over and over with no fault code

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The flame ignites but almost immediately goes out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2017 Thor freedom elite

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tested limit and sail switches

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Initially the control board flashed a code to test those switches. Both are good...it just won’t stay ignited. Sometimes 2 seconds sometimes 10-20 seconds

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
10/28/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert Gabbard, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert Gabbard
Robert Gabbard, RV Mechanic

Hello, My name is ***** ***** about your furnace. I can provide you with some assistance one second and I will pull up Atwood info.

This red boot and screw arc'd when it was trying to ignite. See yellow line..I pushed the booted connector away from the screw and it stopped but that couldn't of been good.

I cant see what your talking about. what i do need is your model atwood

Afmd30141

got it please hold

There is no code blinking on the board? If not then make sure your gas is on and make sure you restart it with the thermostat. It does take 5 to 6 times to light the furnace

It flashed once. I tested heat limit and sail switches and they are both fine. Now it just ignites and goes out over and over and the blower never stopsWith no flashing lights. It flickers when I turn it off with the switch

Low battery or you have to replace the board. I have a parts' breakdown pic but other than what you have already done with the sail switch. How did you check the sail switch ? Limit switch tested to how many ohms ?

We were full 30 amp hook up. I'm leaning towards circuit board also.I removed and tested both switches with my volt meter for continuity

http://dinosaurelectronics.com/Limit_switch.htm go here to learn the correct way to test a limit switch.

Ok so the way I see it since the furnace won't stay lit I test it using method 2?

that is correct

Ok I'll take it back out in the morning. One last question...the black round ignition module on the control board arc'd over to a screw that was close to the connector. Would that hurt the board or its components?

I would try following correct diagnostic procedures to avoid such said problems you ask me if it could hurt the board I can't answer that because I have never had that happen when following the correct flow chart procedures

It wasn't anything I had done. It was like that from the beginning. The wire connector just happened to be close enough to a screw So it may have arc'd every time we used the heat. We've only needed the heat a handful of times since buying it.When I pulled the access cover the connector as bent closer to the screw and was arcing every time it ignited

I understand. You don't want that arcing

If the limit switch tests ok tomorrow then you would replace the board?

i would replace the board no matter what

Thanks for your time

Welcome

Replaced the board and limit switch and still same issue.
Sorry to hear that your still haveing issues with the furnace. The issue may be the first stage regulater. The first stage regulater is the device that regulates L.P.gas to all your appliances. Focos on that being the possible reason. Bypass your thermostat and make sure the gas supply is correct . monometer test will help you make sure that there is no leaks and lock up test and working pressure test is what needs to be done .I highly suggest at this point with furnace you take it to a certified technician to bench test your unit. i would be happy to help you find a place with in your zip code . satusfaction is are goal here at J.A. any follow up questions about your furnace is welcome
Thank you for responding.I was pondering changing the electrode/flame sense thinking it might not be functioning correctly since it fires up for a short time then goes out, especially since the wire was arching to that screw, but I see how that can be a fuel supply issue too. I'll look into the gas supply as well.

Satisfaction is are goal and you are welcome if you have any follow up questions about your furnace.