RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

First off, full disclosure, I am an auto shop working on a…

Customer Question
Hi, First off, full...

Hi, First off, full disclosure, I am an auto shop working on a buddys motorhome. His coach interior lights were going very dim. I found his batteries were 8 years old, swollen and disfigured, so replaced with new agm's and re-tested. Freedom 458 is not inverting or charging. When try, Green Charge/Gel1 light slow flashes and Red Low Battery/Gel2 light is fast flashing. Any ideas, please help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Yes. It says Operation Status: Battery Ripple, and Notes: Warning

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

06 Fleetwood PaceArrow

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Verified Battery positive and negative and Chassis Ground to inverter/converter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I suspect Freedom 458 is internally malfunctioning, but am hoping that someone can give me more input on what the led indicators are doing, again, this is what they are doing: Hi, First off, full disclosure, I am an auto shop working on a buddys motorhome. His coach interior lights were going very dim. I found his batteries were 8 years old, swollen and disfigured, so replaced with new agm's and re-tested. Freedom 458 is not inverting or charging. When try, Green Charge/Gel1 light slow flashes and Red Low Battery/Gel2 light is fast flashing. Any ideas, please help.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
10/24/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Did you replace the batteries with the same type or these are different batteires? The reason I ask is normally you need to change the settings on the remote panel inside to match the battery type. You would see a settings menu.

The inverter very well could be bad also. Go to the inverter and check the breakers on it, should have two round buttons or switches. Shut the inverter OFF at the inverter and then power it back on sometimes that will reset it. In between the batteries and inverter you will also find a LARGE fuse bolted to the chassis frame, make sure you have continuity through it.

Hope this helps. Robert

Have done all of that. Have you reviewed my description of the flashing LED'sMy 35 years of automotive experience is 12v electrical. What I don't know is what the indicators on the inverter mean.Did change from fried golf cart batteries to agm's

You need to make the correct setting on the remote panel in order for them to charge properly.

Below is a service manual for you see page 31.

Robert

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inverter-Chargers/Freedom-458/Freedom458(445-0193-01-01_rev-2).pdf

I just sent you page 31. Did you see it? P31 is TROUBLESHOOTING

Below is a link for the remote panel, that is a pretty common one to find.

Robert

https://productimageserver.com/literature/ownersManual/10850OM.pdf

Ok. Printing this and will try setting up for AGM BATTERIES

Sounds Good

All set correctly. Lights still flashing the same. Disconnected and reconnected control panel. No change. Disconnected 12v and reconnected. No changedWhat does this pattern of flashing lights indicate?

Are you reading the lights at the inverter or on the remote panel?

I think one of the lights is telling you that no AC power is available and the other is a back feed on the AC side.

As long as you hooked up the batteries properly it should want to invert.

When you plug into power or have the generator going the inverter should not be invertering, that function can be shut off, it would still charge the battery and you should have around 13.8 volts.

To me it sounds like the inveter could be bad.

Robert

Are you seeing the pictures or videos that I am sending you

NO any photos or videos need to be sent with your response, should be a paper clip icon on the page that allows you to add photos, we are not allowed to share personal info for privacy reasons.

Robert

Ok.It does not charge OR invert.

Sounds like the inverter IF you have good AC power and the batteries are wired correctly.

Might want to try the generator out, unplug from the shore line and then start the generator and see if it charges.

IF this is the original inverter then it may be time for a new one. BUT I would ensure the AC voltage is correct and the batteries are wired correctly.

I know you use to be able to send them to Xantrex for repairs. Not to many RV shops I have worked at have tore into these.

Robert