RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Dometic refrigerator will not run on electric (plugged in…

My Dometic refrigerator will...

My Dometic refrigerator will not run on electric (plugged in to shore power).

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2016 Keystone Passport travel trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passport yourself? What have you tried so far?

The Check light comes on after about 5 minutes and the fridge does not cool down. Just turned it on and off multiple times; we have asked a local RV mechanic who says the Check light only refers to when it is on propane, But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

AUTO and CHECK

10/18/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.
Thanks, Robert

Thanks.

When you are plugged into power and in Auto the fridge should always want to run on AC power, if you loose the AC power the fridge should default to LP, if it fails to light off on LP then the check light comes on.

First thing to do is check the outlet the fridge is plugged into. The fridge uses DC power not AC power to turn on and work. This means if the outlet had no power the fridge would try and default to gas. Also if you go to the outside access panel you will see a circuit board, it has a black plastic cover, under the cover are some fuses, one is for the AC side or what allows it to work on electric and a DC fuse which allows the fridge to turn on.

Make sure the fuse is not blown on the board. Unplug the cord from the outlet before checking you do not want to touch the AC fuse with it plugged into power.

Next I would check the DC voltage at the back of the fridge, if you have good DC voltage and AC power is available and the fuse is not blown on the board then it sounds like the board is the problem.

IT still should have fired of on propane as well when it defaulted.

Robert

It WILL run on propane. So the Check light is telling me that since it is not getting AC, it has defaulted to LP and failed because the propane is turned off. Makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. The other thing the local guy said was to check the plug under the fridge (AC type?) which I have not done yet and will start there.If it will run on propane, could it still be the board if the DC voltage is good, AC power is available, and there are no blown fuses?

YES it could be the board, there is a relay that is part of the board that senses the AC power.

Robert

That's what I was afraid of.... I will check the other things you mentioned before trying to deal with the extended warranty people. Thank you.

Glad I could help some...

Robert

Hopefully something easy will solve the issue.

Yes if you have more questions on this please feel free to contact me. I am around daily and respond when I can.

Thanks, Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic