RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We were plugging in our RV WITH THE 110 converter and one of…

Customer Question
We were plugging in...

We were plugging in our RV WITH THE 110 converter and one of the prongs on the adapter is now black. We got a new adapter but now nothing will turn on when we plug it in. Do you know how to fix this, is it the fuses, is there a breaker. We have a 19erd vintage

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll need to know a bit more before we can address your question. Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Yes we can’t seem find any info on the fuses or what to do if they the electricity doesn’t work

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2017 gulfstream 19erd vintage

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Oops 2018

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Is someone answering the above question
10/10/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Ok I will lol for your answer

So are you using an adapter on the main cord plugging into a standard 110 outlet?

IF so does the outlet have a GFI on it?

Robert

Look forNoThe last adapter was smoking and one of the prongs was black

I understand that but is this on the main cord you plug in? The adapter.

I will check

10-4

No there isn't

I just need to be clear what adapter you are talking about, normally you have a 30 or 50 amp shore cord that you plug into an outlet. Sometimes you can adapt down the power with an adapter. Where is this adapter?

I have the 30amp cord that goes into the camper on the end of that cord is an adapter so we can use 110 power to power up the camper. The 110 adapter is the one that the prong turned blackWe got a new adapter and still the camper will not
Power up

I asked you this in my very first reply.

Are you plugged into a standard 110 outlet and if it has a GFCI on iy.

Does this outlet have a GFCI on it, that would be a test and reset.

No it does not we checked the outlet and it has power

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

First off you need to be really careful plugging into a standard 110 outlet, it is not meant for the RV. Some owners will do it and get away with keep the battery charged. When you plug into an outlet you can quickly overload the circuit, when that happens the GFI should trip, you are not on a GFI outlet so it got so hot it started to melt the plug. You may not be able to use a 110 house outlet. Also the longer the cord the larger the problem you can have. I bet in your case the cord was very warm or hot, that would be a red flag.

The first thing I would do in your position is to plug into a 30 amp service direct and make sure everything works, if so then you know the supply source is the issue.

IF you do not have a place to go plug in direct I would get a polarity checker and check the outlet you are plugging into it can show voltage but need to make sure nothing is wrong with the outlet, places like Home Depot sell them for a few dollars, it simply plugs into the outlet and tell you if there is a wiring problem.

Check your breakers inside the RV as well, you should have a breaker panel, many times it is a raised vented panel with a release at the top center. It can be under the fridge, on the outside base of the bed etc.

I would really advise not to plug into a 110 outlet if you do then it has to have a GFI for protection.

Robert

Thank you, ***** ***** a master breaker that could have been triggered in the camper

Yes you will have that breaker panel and the cord comes right to the main breaker in the panel. Once you find it shut all the breakers OFF and then back ON again.

Robert

Ok

About all you can do but you really need to get away plugging into a standard outlet. IF you need info on how to wire a 30 amp box please let me know.

Robert

Ok thank you, ***** ***** let you know appreciate the help

Glad I could help some.
Robert