RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2014 Coachman Freelander 26QB. I have a receptacle tester…

Customer Question
2014 Coachman Freelander 26QB...

2014 Coachman Freelander 26QB. I have a receptacle tester inserted in the GFI at the kitchen to remind me when I am plugged into external AC power. I unplugged it to use in the house, I reinstalled in the RV kitchen and the tester shows no AC at the GFI in the kitchen. The fuses are fine. The breakers have been reset. Still GFI kitchen circuits show no power?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Freelander yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked all breakers which are not labeled well by the factory. I have checked all fuses which look good. I took off the wall plates to see if there is anything to reset at the receptacle and there is none. Can't figure it out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tester works fine.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/30/2019
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here. Thanks!

Good morning! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I fully understand the frustration you can have when things aren't working the way they should.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your GFCI. And I apologize for the delay in someone getting to your question! Thank you for your patience. Sometimes we get overwhelmed with questions and some of our techs may be on vacation. I just got back from one myself.

This is almost always caused by either a GFCI that is damaged and won't reset OR it won't reset because whatever tripped it is still backfeeding into it. Check the things that might be plugged into that plug and any others that plug controls. If you don't find anything, then take a small digital multimeter like you can find at most local hardware stores and check for good AC voltage OUT of that breaker and then INTO that GFCI outlet. This will tell you which way to go from there.

I hope this points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me again later if you need additional assistance with this as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. Thanks! Randall in RV

Nothing is plugged into any of the GFCI outlets except the tester. To check AC out of the GFI breaker itself, I will have to take off the cover to the electrical panel, correct?

That is where you would check for power OUT of the breaker. To test for power TO the GFCI you would need to check the "Line" side of the GFCI itself. And I suppose you checked the tester on another outlet to be sure it was working? No adapter being used on the shore cord here? And if this happens to be on a circuit controlled by an inverter you need to check those breakers.

No inverter.All GFCI test no power.I tried another small outlet tester, still no reading at all.To test any GFCI outlet, I will have to take it out of the wall.The main GFCI breaker feels good and solid switching back-and-forth.If all GFCI outlets test no power, then I assume I have to go back to the main GFCI breaker.

Yes, you do and "feel" is not a good testing procedure. A meter is the only sure way to do this.

Okay. I'll have to shower and get dressed to proceed on testing. I will pull the cover off the main fuse panel and test the output of the GFCI breaker. If the breaker is bad is it a uncommon breaker? Where can one be purchased?

They can almost always be purchased at your local hardware store. Take the bad one with you.

OkayBTWWhat is the main power switch on the bottom left when I walk into the RV? What does that do?

That is for disconnecting the batteries.

Thanks

You are most welcome! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Thanks!

The breaker was fine. The first GFCI breaker in the bathroom tripped. I did not know there was one in the bathroom connected to the kitchen circuits. I reset the GFI in the bathroom and everything was fine.

There you go! Good job. Thanks for letting me know how it turned out.

Thanks again. I want you to know for future customers to find that GFCI outlet in the chain that can trip which will save a lot of headache for novice RVs like me

Yes, it will. I teach an RV systems class at the local JC for this very reason. It teaches RV owners about the systems and how they work and how to keep them working.