RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Plugged RV into outlet at house with at 15-30 adapter and…

Customer Question
Plugged RV into outlet...

Plugged RV into outlet at house with at 15-30 adapter and getting an overload light/beeping at the electrical panel? Everything worked fine last week plugged directly into 30 amp connection

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

There is a small green light on outside of electrical panel that came on and it is beeping at electrical panel. If I unplug cord or shut off main breaker it quits

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Next to the light is says "overload 2008 Wildcat 2rbhbp

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have only tried breakers and plugging into different plug. No luck. Trying to get an idea of where to look.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all I can think of. RV is new to me. I just put in new batteries. Lights, etc work fine on battery power

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

It is really not recommend that you plug into a standard house hold 110 outlet, you can have line loss and overload the circuit very quickly. Some owners with small RV's can even have issues doing this, sometimes it will work just enough for the converter to keep the batteries charged but using anything in the RV would quickly overload that circuit.

So I would plug in direct and if you have no issues you know the supply source is the problem. I would have a 30 amp service wired in, click HERE for some information on the wiring.

Also you never, ever want to plug into a dryer or welder outlet, that is 220 volts direct and can damage the RV. In a RV a 50 amp or 4 prong cord is 2 110 volt legs coming into the RV to equal 220 volts, not direct. A 30 amp service is one hot leg of 110 coming into the RV.

Hope this helps some. Robert

Ive plugged my previous RV into that same plug and other plugs with no issues. I can try this one on a different plug. Not everywhere we go has 30 amp service, so would like to diagnose problem.

IF everything works plugged in direct then there is nothing to diagnose. The RV is designed for a 30 amp service not a 110 house outlet. As soon as you plug in the converter is pulling amps to charge the batteries. IF the batteries were in poor condition the converter might work extra hard and use allot of amps trying to maintain the batteries. The amps being used can add up pretty fast. IF this RV has an inverter, which allows you to have AC power when you are dry camping make sure it is turned OFF when plugged in as it would try to take the battery voltage and make AC voltage.

Check the polarity of your outlets you are plugging into as well, most home improvement stores have them for a few dollars, the polarity checker will plug into the outlets and tell you if there is a wiring issue.

The longer the run to the post the greater the problem you can have. Also adapters can fail. It just might be the nature of this particular RV, hard to troubleshoot if everything works plugged in directly.

Robert

Thank you, ***** ***** try those things.

No problem at all.

Have a great Weekend.

Robert