RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Passenger side slide with all power off,or on slowly starts…

Passenger side slide with...

Passenger side slide with all power off,or on slowly starts to extend out?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Head lights do come on, start to slowely extend even in dock postion

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2008 monaco, camelot

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Monaco yourself? What have you tried so far?

New to to this vehicle. dont know ware to start for a repair

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2019
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here. Thanks!

Ok

Good morning! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I fully understand the frustration you can have when things aren't working the way they should.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your slide out system. And I apologize for the delay in someone getting to your question! Thank you for your patience. Sometimes we get overwhelmed with questions and some of our techs may be on vacation. I just got back from one myself.

This is almost always due to a hydraulic solenoid allowing fluid to leak past it and then the room can drift out. On all electric slide hardware it is way less common, but it can happen if the electric motor brake isn't holding. Sometimes owners just get some mechanical slide out locks and install those to keep the slide out in place when moving. Not expensive and easy to take in and out. These are made by American Techologies and available on Amazon.

I am adding some helpful information that applies to most all 12 VDC issues.

There should be two is installed for best results for any power equipment. Get your meter and check it to be sure that the charging device is putting out the 13.7 to 14.2 VDC that these put out when working properly. That would be to the fuse block and the batteries.

If the fuses are good and you have to power into the load center I suspect that this is going to be a tripped shortstop breaker up by the batteries or perhaps a DC breaker by the main load center. That is the most common reason for this happening. Check that and get back to me. Short stop breakers have to be within 18" of the batteries by code and have a red cover over them. Silver post and copper post and a small black button on the copper post end.

Then check the DC voltage out of the load center and see what that is. In the shop the first thing we always do is to load test the batteries to be sure they are viable. Surface voltage really doesn't mean much if they are beginning to fail. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you. Just be sure that you mark the cables first and take a photo so you are sure to get them hooked back up again correctly. Easy to get this wrong if you don't. About 80% of all the electrical questions we see here are a result of batteries and cables needing attention.

I hope this points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me again later if you need additional assistance with this as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. Thanks! Randall in RV

thanks,ill give your suggestions a whirl

You are most welcome! Please get back to me again later if you need more here as I am around every day and will respond back as my schedule allows.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification