RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

WON'T LET ANY POWER GO THROUGH TO INVERTER FROM SHORE POWER…

WON'T LET ANY POWER...

WON'T LET ANY POWER GO THROUGH TO INVERTER FROM SHORE POWER OR GENERATOR.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

NEWMAR VENTANA 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES, TRIED HOLDING CONTACTS TOGETHER BUT STILL NO OWER TO INVERTER

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

CONTROL PANEL SAYS INVERTING BUT NO JUICE LTO INVERTER PLUGS

9/8/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.
Thanks. Robert

Normally when you are plugged into power OR are running the generator the inverter should not be invertring as the AC power passes through the inverter. The only time the inverter should be ON is when you need the AC power.

Check the invertrer for a tripped breaker, most all inverters will have one or two breakers on them, they can be small buttons or round switches.

What I also might try is to power everything down. Unplug from shore power or stop the generator, shut off all the breakers inside the RV then shut the inverter down. Plug back in, turn on all the breakers inside the RV and then restart the inverter.

The AC power will pass through a transfer switch and then some power goes through the inverter and some goes to the breaker panel. IF the breaker on the inverter was tripped you would not get any AC voltage and that is normally the outlets, microwave TV etc.

I am not sure what contacts you are holding together.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
THERE IS NO POWER GOING THROUGH THE TRANSFER SWITCH. I WAS HOLDING THE CONTACTS ON THE TRANSFER SWITCH TOGETHER AND STILL NO POWER WAS GOING THROUGH TO THE INVERTER.

OK

Just so I am clear you should have a main transfer switch that is NOT part of the inverter, the generator cord and shore cord go directly to this transfer switch.

Is this where you were holding the contacts?

Robert

i was holding the contacts down on the transfer switch. upon further checking i found that the inverter is inverting but is not charging the batteries because it is not receiving ac power. there is power to my breaker box but i can not get any 120 volt power to any of my appliances and the inverter wont change from inverting except when i turn it off and then the control panel says waiting for ac but it never gets any.

Normally the AC power comes from the main transfer switch feeds the main 50 amp breaker and then the branch breakers pass the power out to the circuits.

You should have voltage at each breaker inside the RV on all the breakers. The 50 amp breaker gets fed from the transfer switch.

Robert

that still doesn't tell me how the inverter gets its AC p0wer. there is a neutral and a ground and two hot wires connectrt to the inverter which would indicate to me it comes from the transfer switch

The AC power will come from the transfer switch OR you will have a breaker inside the RV marked inverter that feeds the post.

Your transfer switch will have AC power coming in from the generator and shore cord on one side and then output on the other side. IF you have voltage going to the transfer switch and nothing going out of the transfer switch then the transfer switch is bad. There would be no reason at all that the inverter would not be getting voltage if it was wired to the transfer switch unless the wiring between the transfer switch and inverter is bad. OR it the AC power is routed to the breaker panel then to the inverter. Robert

thanks. i will find out what is going on monday. have an appointment to get it fixed. gave up on doing it myself too many circuits that it culd be

Sounds good. IF you need more help please let me know.

Robert