RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Thor chateau 23u a/c, microwave and tv just quit working.

Customer Question
Thor chateau 23u a/c...

Thor chateau 23u a/c, microwave and tv just quit working. Checked breakers and they seem ok. Gfci seems to have popped and unable to reset. Any suggestions please? Thank you!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

No noise.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Thor chateau 23u 2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried the breakers, checked the fuses. All seem ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all.thnx

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
9/8/2019
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome to Just Answer, I'm Chris (aka-Moose). I've been an independent contractor here for 13 years, and have gotten pretty good at diagnosis & repair sight unseen. However, I'm not good at sympathy through a keyboard. I do care about you, your vehicle's issues, and the funds you're spending, just not good at showing it. Sometimes I respond above your skill level, am to blunt or rough around the edges, just let me know so I can help you best to your and my ability. I am most often online central time 11-3 midday and 8-3 at night.

If you unplug the TV and microwave, are you able then to make sure the breaker is not tripped and are you now able to reset the GFI plug?

Trying it now

Super

Nothing improved

When you press the GFI reset, does it just pop right back out?

The possible things to blame for that are going to be:

There is something else on this circuit that is plugged up and shorted to ground.

There is a wire short to ground within the walls.

One of the plugs on this circuit is damaged internally.

The GFI plug has failed.

I recommend disconnecting power from the camper and replacing the GFI plug first off. You should be able to get one from your local hardware store and wire it up the identical way as you removed it.

If any part of my first answer is confusing or needing more detail. Please let me know so I can help more. I want you to receive a 5-star excellent experience and rate as such. Thanks for letting me assist you, Chris.

Thank you for your recommendation. The gfi could cause the a/c to not work?

The AC should not be on the GFI plug but the microwave and TV can be, all depending on how the camper is wired. I do not have a wiring diagram, that has to come from the manufacturer through an email request. I actually looked over the AC not working when I read the post the first time. You may need to test the plug your camper is plugged up to, there could be a breaker tripped there or one leg of the 30 amp circuit is down. Is there anything 120 volts working inside the camper?

The refrigerator is working

The fridge is 12 volts. When plugged up, the onboard charger charges the battery, and the fridge runs off of the battery.

How about the electric water heater?

I don't have the water heater on

Do you have a voltmeter so we can test the plug from the campsite?

Have you checked the breaker on the campsite power pole?

No voltmeter. Yes. Checked breaker at site

I think we have done all we can do at this time without having a tool to test with.

Agree. Thank you.

You are welcome