RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My water heater doesn't seem to come on, i'm thinking my…

Customer Question
My water heater doesn't...

My water heater doesn't seem to come on, i'm thinking my propane ran out during night, and when i turn the water heater switch off/on, nothing seems to be happening

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

I have a coachmen clipper, i just bought it, and don't know where everything is yet

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2019 coachmen clipper

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We're at campsite right now, so yes. i switched propane tanks, confirmed there is propane in tank by turning on my stove. i turned hot water switch off and its been about 10 minutes since i did that

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not yet

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/2/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the make and model of the water heater?

Normally there is a sticker under the outside access panel.

Thanks. Robert

Hi, actually the water heater finally came on but my question is there an adjustment to balance cold/hot because it starts to cool off after a minute or so.Mainly for shower

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Ok

The temperature is normally preset and it takes some time for the water to recover, so you want to make sure when you first turn the the water heater on to give it a good 20 mins before using. Some water heaters work on LP and electric. The electric side would be an option and it would only work when you are plugged into power. If yours has that option it would be OK to use both LP and electric at the same time for faster recovery. LP is will always give you quicker recovery vs electric.

IF you can get me the make and model of the water I can see if there are any adjustments. IF you have a tank-less water heater there might be an adjustment. IF you have a standard Dometic/Atwood or Suburban then there is normally no adjustment.

Robert

AirXcel (?)SW6D (?)

That is a Suburban SW6d. 6 gallon.

The temp is preset. This water heater should have a check valve installed on it. IT is possible the check valve failed allowing the water to mix. I think I would have the dealer take a look at it if you are only getting water for 1 min and then it goes cold, possible the check valve is the problem. Any issues should be covered under warranty.

IF you have an outdoor sprayer make sure the valves are shut as well.

Robert

Ok thanks

No problem at all.

Robert