RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We recently purchased a camp trailer and though the

Customer Question
We recently purchased a...

We recently purchased a camp trailer and though the refrigerator worked at the time of the purchase, it is not working now. I have read a few places that having a camper at a steep incline can cause issues with the refrigerator, which it was while we were cleaning it. Anyway, it is not working and when we try to turn it on, the green light flashes four times. The unit is a Norcold N611 unit. Everyone tells us it needs to be reset and we have unplugged the unit and still received an error when we plugged it back in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

The light that signifies the unit is on, It comes on steady green, flashes four time, then returns to steady green. Then repeats.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2004 Thor Wanderer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we are attempting to fix it ourselves. We are hours from any technician. So far we have tried: Turning it off and on and unplugged it. That is it so far.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No sir.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
8/28/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.
Thanks, Robert

This is one code that you do not want to see as it is telling you the power board has failed. The power board is located under the outside access panel. IT has a plastic cover on it and the cord that plugs into the outlet runs to it. Click HERE for a service manual and see page 8. This code is pretty cut and dry.

I would get the serial number of the fridge along with the model which you have and call a local RV store to see if they can get you a board.

About the only thing I can think of you can try is to remove the DC supply wires going into the board and then plug them back in and see if the code goes away, if not I am afraid the board needs to be replaced.

Robert

Thank you for your response. Have you ever heard of this error happening when the camper is on an incline and the refrigerator is turned on? I found 2 different sites that owners claimed this happened and they were able to reset something on the refrigerator and I have a co-worker who said the same thing? If I asked you what you would do if you were going to try to reset the unit, is what you told me in the prior message is what you would do?

IF you had a 5 code then that would have something to do with it not be level. A 5 code is no cooling detected by the controls, if a RV is parked un-level the ammonia solution inside the cooling unit can become blocked or not be able to circulate and then the back of the fridge gets really hot and you get the 5 code. For the 5 code there is a reset, it does not apply to the 4 code.

So really important it is 4 times and not 5 times. I still can give you the reset procedures so you have them if you like.

Robert

if you Wouldn't mind can you please send me the reset instructions!

OK

Give me a few mins.

Thanks. Robert

Robert, I just called my husband and he said it actually could be five blinks.

Click HERE and HERE.

IT depends on the style board you have on board the newer style has a 10 and a 6 pin plug the procedure is down at the 6 pin as shown. The other older style board has a single 16 pin connector and the reset is done on that connector.

You may have to remove the plastic cover on the board to have a better view.

Hope this has been helpful. Robert

Thank you for your help! I hope were able to troubleshoot it! Have a great evening!

No problem at all..

Let me know if you need more help.

Robert

Just wanted to take a minute to text you and tell you thank you! The troubleshooting directions you sent us the other night work. Refrigerator is now working! Thank you again!

Glad I could help you out on this.

Have a safe and Happy Holiday weekend!

Robert