RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our Dometic fridge in our RV won't stay lit on l.p. gas, it…

Our Dometic fridge in...

Our Dometic fridge in our RV won't stay lit on l.p. gas, it drains the battery?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

I'm not talking about lights?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

94 ford jamboree

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ford?

I said it is 94

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that the Dometic refrigerator doesn't work on propane, it works for awhile then shuts off, and drains the battery

8/24/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Are you plugged into power when this is happening or are you dry camping?

How long will the fridge work before it shuts down?

Thanks. Robert

Ok, now it only works a short time on electric

Are you plugged into power?

Robert

We was plugged in to electric, it quit working after a little while, Same thing when it was on propane

OK

What is the make and model of the fridge? And when you say quit working is the interior light inside the fridge also not working.

Thanks, Robert

We put brand new batteries, it seems when it's on propane the fridge draws the batteries downIt's a RM 2611, not sure of the age. We bought it second hand. Dometic

IT will draw the batteries down if you are NOT plugged in, the circuit board requires good DC voltage at all times. IF it is plugged in and it is drawing the batteries down then you have an issue with the power converter. IF your model has a high humidity switch then that will also drain on the batteries if it is ON and that can happen even if the fridge is turned off. The fridge will only work so long off the battery before the battery needs to be recharged.

The first step when this is happening is to check the DC voltage on the back of the fridge. Click HERE for a service manual it should help you out.

This model should not have the high humidity switch. Robert

There is a on and off switch between the freezer door and the fridge door that I think is for humidity

IF that is the case turn it OFF and see if you are able to run the fridge longer. IF that switch is left on even though the fridge is OFF it can drain the batteries down.

Robert

The "Climate Control" switch controls a 12 volt heat tape behind the metal frame around the refrigerator and freezer doors. Much like a cold glass of water sweating on a humid day, the cold frame around the doors can cause water condensation to form and accumulate and even drip off the front of the refrigerator in high humidity conditions. Since this switch controls a source of heat that the refrigerator has to dissipate, it should only be used if condensation on the frame is noted. Use of this switch does cause the refrigerator to work harder, especially if just started, and can cause a delay in coming to temperature. It is also an electrical draw on the battery system when “dry camping”

Sorry my husband is checking the switch, it was on.
We don't understand why it will work for awhile on either electric or gas and shut down, even the control panelDid I lose you?

No I am here.

You need to check the DC voltage at the back of the fridge, if the voltage is dropping below 11.5 volts then the fridge will shut down on electric or LP. The 12 volts is required to run the circuit board, meaning the fridge will not work on just AC power.

Ok, there is 2 wires by the gas valve, one has 12.5 volts, the other nothing?

You should have a plastic terminal block the DC supply wires get screwed down into. That would be power and ground to the fridge. IF you have 12 volts or more at that point then the fridge should be turning on, the interior light should be ON can you confirm that?

Robert

No power to the light

I am trying my best to help you. On the back side of the fridge under the outside access panel you should have a plastic terminal block the wires get screwed down into, that is the main DC supply. Need to know what the voltage is at that point with the meter put one probe on one screw and the other probe on the other screw and read the voltage.

He took the light bulb out thinking it was draining the power. There is no power to the light

Once again you need to check voltage at the terminal block. I sent you a service manual and is shows the 12 volt terminal block.

What I am trying to determine is if you have a low voltage issue going into the fridge.

IF it is not a low voltage issue then check all the connections on the circuit board. unplug the cord and remove the cover on the board, one fuse is for the DC side and one fuse is for the AC side. Do not want to touch the AC fuse when it is plugged into power. Make sure the supply wires into the terminal block are clean and tight and the fuses on the board are not loose at all.

Robert

I haven't received the manual,
Fuses are good.
It's. One wire by the gas valve that doesn't work, the other wire reads 12.5.The control panel was on and the fridge was cooling, but now it all shut off again.

Click HERE for the service manual see symptom 1 NO OPERATION NO PANEL LIGHTS . There are many wires on the fridge. IF the light is OFF then you have to check the TERMINAL BLOCK for voltage.

Robert

It used to shut off on us when we would dry camp, but now it's shutting off on electric too. Ok we will look at the manual.
Can I get a hold of you again when we check this out, or do I have to have a different mechanic?

Just respond back to me like you have been doing. I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.

Thanks. Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
We have decided to replace the fridge. Thanks for your help.
Don't need just answer anymore.

Thanks for the update.

Robert