RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We recently purchased a 2000 Keystone Cougar 5th Wheel.

Customer Question
We recently purchased a...

We recently purchased a 2000 Keystone Cougar 5th Wheel. We've camped in it once. I brought it home and plugged it in to a regular 110 outlet using an adapter to keep fridge cold. I went out to get something from a cabinet the other day just after we had alot of rain and alot of lightning. I can't access my cabinets because the slide is over them. My slide was working before the storm but since, I cannot get the switch to work. Is there a fuse or a reset button? I checked all the breakers and fuses in the fuse box, everything is working except for the slide switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

My manual is very basic, all it shows is that there is a fuse box. I haven't found a second fuse box but I guess I can look deeper

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cougar yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm trying to do it myself.... I think it must be something basic. I tried to call the individual that I bought it from to see if he could help point me in the right direction but he was an older fella and I think he's having some health issues so I can't reach him. Just looking for some tips to look for.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
8/23/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

First off you need to be really careful plugging into a standard 110 outlet, it really is not recommend for a 5th wheel. When you are plugged in like that the converter will try and charge the battery plus the fridge is going and the amps being pulled start to add up.

GO to the battery and check your battery voltage make sure it is over 12 volts, if the voltage is good follow the cables and look for a tripped breaker, below is a picture of one style. You would want to see voltage on each post to chassis ground, not across the posts. IF one post has voltage and the other does not then look on the short side of the breaker for a tab that might be popped out. As a general rule any breakers are going to be 18" from the battery and they can be tucked on the frame rail and you may have more then one for other systems.

Hope this helps some.
Robert

Breaker.

I'm at work now. Thank you for your help. I'll check that when I get home.

Sounds good, let me know if you need more help, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert