RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a domestic on the door the is a number RM2611, the…

Customer Question
I have a domestic...

I have a domestic on the door the is a number RM2611 , the freezer plate is frosted up but the refrigerator aluminum fins do not see to cool . I found what I think is the problem , the refrigerator switch which makes when you close door is not being made by door. When you close door,so I took a zip tie and made the switch close . Does this switch control refrigerator only? Frig operates on gas and electric .I have no back up battery on trailer . I instruction it say it’s circuit board requires 12 volts , do I need a battery ,I’m plugged into 110 volt breaker panel

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the Volt start—same as usual?

I’m plugged into electricity.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Volt?

I don’t understand, this is a Dometric RV fridge, Model # RM 2611. It’s a 1994. This is our first trip in it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’m thinking the switch when you open the door is bad. I’ve tied a zip tie on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What is meant by Volt?

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
8/20/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response, lots to cover here.

Robert

Ok, thx

I do not think the switch is the issue however if the door was not sealing properly warm air can get in the box and then cause poor cooling, it needs a good seal.

When you troubleshoot the fridge you want to run it on BOTH sources for at least 6 hours and see what happens. IF the box does not cool on BOTH LP and AC power it could be a cooling unit or thermistor issue. IF the fridge cools on one source and not the other then that is NOT the case. So it really matters to do that testing.

The freezer will always get cold long before the box has a chance to, so it is very possible to have a cooling unit issue with the freezer working.

I am going to give you a service manual, the thermistor can be tested if you have a volt meter. Click HERE for the service manual.

IF you would like to run the fridge some more and get back to me that is fine as well, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.