RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Very bad sewer smell after black / grey water tanks emptied…

Very bad sewer smell...

Very bad sewer smell after black / grey water tanks emptied but not before 2012 KZ Spree 220 KS. Help thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '12 RV?

KZ Spree 220 KS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying too investigate the problem to see if I am capable to address the problem. Do I have a roof vent for the black water? I have checked out both the vents under the vanity sink. Both seem to be working fine. I sealed off the back flush vent and a still had the small after a dumped the black water.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The smell only seems to show up after I dump the tanks which is about 3 days into the camp. Both tanks are empty now as a I am investigating at home.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/12/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Yes you will have a vent pipe for both the black and grey water that is on the roof. Over the pipe will be a vent cap. You want to make sure the piping is above the roof line and nothing is blocking the vent. You also want to make sure it is completely sealed off under the vent cap and around the pipe. You may need to pull the vent cap off to inspect, you can use dicor sealant to seal any voids that you see most RV stores carry the Dicor. What can happen if it is not completely sealed off is the odors can go up the vent and then back down into the walls.

I might also get some chemicals in the tank and see if that helps any. Happy Campers is a good product that can be found on Amazon.

Hope this points you in the right direction. Robert

Thanks for the info. I checked the roof vents and they all well sealed. I also stuck a pole down the roof vents and they both appear clear. Am I doing something wrong when I empty my tanks. I empty the BW first then the GW after the BW is almost done in order to help the BW wated to empty the hose. The smell does seem to come from the dumping side of the trailer. What now?

Wait until the tanks are full, or nearly full. Dump the black water tank first, then the gray tank. Dumping the gray tank last helps flush out the sewer hose.

Hard to say where to go with this next, the only items going into the tank is the discharge piping from the toilet an the vent pipe on the roof. They do make rotating sewer vents and that might help some, cyclone is a good one to try.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic