RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

No power to my rv despite shore plug in. Consistent. Monaco…

Customer Question
No power to my...

No power to my rv despite shore plug in

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Monaco knight 2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Monaco yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just started looking into it. My inverter is in shutdown mode.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
8/12/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.
Thanks. Robert

When you are plugged into power the incoming AC voltage will pass through a transfer switch and then through the inverter and breaker panel. When you are plugged in the inverter will charge the batteries, so you should have close to 14 volts at the battery. IF the battery voltage is very low the inverter would go into a shut down to prevent the batteries from discharging even more.

Make sure you have 14 volts at the batteries if that is not the case go unplug from shore power, shut the supply breaker OFF, turn off all the breakers inside the RV, shut the inverter down. Plug back into power, turn the supply post breaker ON and then the breakers inside the RV and then the inverter back on.

Normally when you are plugged into power you do not need the inverter on it should not be inverting as the AC power will automatically pass through the inverter.

IF the battery voltage is very low I might have the batteries load tested.

I might also see if the generator will start, if everything works on generator you could have a supply source problem or the automatic transfer switch is the problem.

IF you have the AC power meaning the outlets, TV and microwave are working let me know.

Robert

Where do I find the supply breaker

That would be on the post you are plugged into.

Robert

Sorry, I was thinking inside rv. Ok. How would I know if I have 14 volts at the battery

The only way to know is to get a volt meter and check the reading at the battery, if you do not have a volt meter then it is going to be difficult to troubleshoot.

There is a very large fuse mounted to the frame between the batteries and inverter as well. So if you have AC voltage and the battery is not charging then that would be something to look at. Try powering everything OFF and then back on and see what happens with the generator.

Robert