RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My rv norcold refrig is not cooling at all. The lights are…

Hello, my rv norcold...

Hello, my rv norcold refrig is not cooling at all. The lights are all on and no fault code. I don't know what todo

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know the model of your Norcold fridge? How old is it?

N61X or N81X. 2018

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

I just discovered it today. It has been at camping world most of the summer with warranty issues for other things.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I did not have the propane on at first, but I turned that on and it is also plugged in

8/11/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

sure

Normally when you get NO cooling on BOTH LP and AC power it could be a thermistor or cooling unit issue. So you would want to run it on AC power for 6 hours and LP for six hours and see if it cools on one source and not the other.

IF you look in the box on the back fins you will see the thermistor clipped to one of the fins, the connector will go to the light. What you can try and do is disconnect the thermistor. Doing this puts the fridge into a full cooling cycle and the box should cool, if the box cools with it disconnected the thermistor is at fault.

The cooling unit could also be the problem, a cooling unit can rupture or become blocked. IF the cooling unit was blocked you would not have any symptoms but NO cooling on BOTH sources, once a cooling unit becomes blocked it normally needs to be replaced. Sometimes tapping the cooling unit coils with a rubber mallet will help but there are no guaranties. IF this is a 2018 I would have it looked at under warranty, you are not doing anything wrong the box should be cooling.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thank youWhere is the back of the box located in my motorhome?Where I can find the thermistor?

I told you where it is located, if you look inside the box on one of the back fins you will see it clipped to one of the fins, the wires tie in with the light connector.

You will have an outside access panel that you can remove to see the back of the fridge. Go outside opposite to where the fridge is located inside.

Robert

Click HERE and see page 16 you can see what it looks like.

Robert

Ok, got it off. The flame ignited

Just let it run for about 4-6 hours and see if the box cools.

Robert

Ok, I switched it from gas to auto and b the flame went outWhat does that mean?the unit is plugged in

When you go to auto and are plugged in it will automatically work on AC power. IF you loose the AC power or unplug the fridge from the outlet it will default to LP. IF you need to run it on LP just go unplug the cord from the outlet and it will switch over to LP. OR take it out of Auto mode.

Robert

where is it plugged in?

Under the outside access panel for the fridge. GO outside opposite where the fridge is inside and you will see a cover with two slotted squares, you use a coin or flat head screw driver to turn them and then the panel will come out.

Robert

ok found it....just so I understand, if the frig is operating on AC will there be a flame or no?

NO Flame when you are on AC power or plugged in. IF you loose the AC power or unplug it then it will switch to gas.

Robert

gotcha. Is it safe to unplug that plug and plug it back in to kinda of reboot the frig?

I don't think that is going to matter but you can try that. You do want to run it on propane 6 hours and see if the box cools, if it cools on source and not the other then it could be a number of things. IF it does NOT cool on BOTH LP and AC power then it is normally a cooling unit or thermistor issue, unplug the thermistor from the board and give it another 6 hours.

Robert

I have the thermistor disconnected right nowThank you so much for your patience. We shall see what happens. Have a great night

Sounds good, IF you need more help let me know.

I am around daily and respond when I can.'

Robert