RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We recently parked it on our familys property and are

Customer Question
We recently parked it...

We recently parked it on our familys property and are connected directly to their home through an extension cord and are not experiencing QUITE the electrical shock on all metal surfaces. We first time rvers and have no idea what is going on. We have looked for anything out of the ordinary but cant seem to locate anything. Everything was fine before we moved it. We have a 1994 Terry travel trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '94 Terry?

Terry by Fleetwood 29ft 30/sc

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, well attempting to. We have searched for any loose wires but cant seem to find any. We were told that is a common problem but we are also not entirely certain what kinds of things to look for that would cause this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Hold on while check them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I do not have a wiring diagram unfortunately Is there a way to obtain one?

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
8/9/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Thank you.

This is what is called in the RV world as a "Hot Skin" and it is dangerous. This happens when the frame of the vehicle is no longer at the same voltage potential as the earth around it. This is usually due to an improper power plug connection at a campsite or garage AC outlet.

So it vert well could be the supply power OR the extension cord or the cord you are plugging into the extension cord.

In order to test you would need a good earth ground such as a pipe or something near the RV, with a volt meter set to the AC scale you can touch the black probe of the meter to earth ground and then the positive to the door frame and you should not have any AC voltage.

What I also might do is get a polarity checker and plug it into the supply outlet. The polarity checker will tell you if there is an issue with the wiring. Most places like Home Depot have them for a few dollars. It simply plugs into the outlet and will light up telling you if the power is good or not.

I am willing to bet it is going to be the supply post or the cord. Really hard to run anything all in the RV plugging into a standard outlet, the longer the extension cord the greater the problems you can have.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robbert

Thank you very much for this advice. I am going to do everything I can with this info. I hope I am able to rectify this situation today.

No problem at all.

Robert