RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Winnebago adventurer. No hot water from any taps including…

Customer Question
Winnebago adventurer. No hot...

Winnebago adventurer. No hot water from any taps including shower. Tank is heating on both electric and gas. Water is filling tank. Top water line out of the back of tank does get warm. But nothing out at the tap. No evident leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2004 adventurer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Read my first description

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When water heater bypass valve is engaged cold water will stream out the hot water tap. But when in normal operation the is no flow at all.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
8/1/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

This sounds like you have a failed check valve on the back of the water heater IF the water in the tank is hot. The check valve screws into the tank and you would need to gain access where the lines are going into the tank. Below is a picture of the valve it can be plastic or brass and have tiny arrows on it for direction of flow. When they fail the spring and disc can come out and block the flow of hot water. Again you would need to access the water heater to see where the lines are going into the tank. I know on someone Winnebago's it can be a task if the water heater is below the floor line, you would have to get at it from sides or back.

Also make sure your outdoor sprayer valves are not open. Have seen some issues when they are left open and the water mixing.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert

Would a fouled check valve still allow the hot water pipe out of the tank to get warm? If I open the low point drain valve, hot water does come out of the drain pipe.

I am not sure what else this is going to be if the water in the tank is hot and you are not getting hot water to the faucets, if the bypass valve is in the proper position then normally it is the check valve on the water heater. I have seen some cases where you will get a burst of hot water and then it stops or possibly get hot water to some taps and not others. IT would be a starting point to check if the water in the tank is hot. I can probably send you a plumbing diagram if you get me the model of the journey.

Robert

2004 Winnebago Adventurer

I need the model number or length of your Adventurer.

Robert

38ft. Workhorse Chasis. Vortex 8100 gasoline eng. 228” wheelbase.

Click HERE and have a look, you should be able to zoom in and have a better look.

Make sure the outdoor sprayer valves are shut as well.

Really sounds like a failed check valve if the water in the tank is hot.

Robert

I have already confirmed outside sprayer. When the hot water tank is on and the water is heated, if I switch valve to bypass hot water tank position I will get a few seconds of hot water from the tap at full flow then it goes cold. In normal operation position there is no flow at all at taps. I will try to replace check valve on the rear of the tank. I’m a bigger man so it is very very tight to get at. Is there an easy way to pull the whole tank to change the check then reinstall? Or is it easier to try to work blind with an arm behind the tank?

That is the key right there, you are getting a short burst of hot water. You probably can not remove the tank as the lines on the back side are hooked up to it. I do know this one is a royal pain to work on because it is below the floor line. IF it was above the floor line then you can go inside and see what is in that area. You will need to get at it from the sides and back. I am not sure what all would need to come out to make that happen but feel confident the check valve is the issue.

Robert

Check valve has been replaced and all is working normally now. Thank you for your answer. Previous check valve had disintegrated and its valve pieces were removed from the hot water tank interior with a flush.

Good job and thanks for the update on this.

Have a great day!

Robert