RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My refridgerator will only cool intermittently but the

Customer Question
My refridgerator will...

My refridgerator will only cool intermittently but the freezer portion works just fine. What are my possible optopns

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

It is a 2007 Salem Made by forest river

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've checked the burner and have looked at the venting.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've not had the means to check the gas flow and have not seen any evidence of ammonia leakage. I am thinking of doing the work myself but am wondering if a complete replacement of the unit might be the bestoption

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/21/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the make and model of the fridge?

Have you tried running it on BOTH LP and AC power with the same results?
Thanks, Robert

the results are the same

Do you have a Dometic or Norcold?

Robert

Dometic RM2652

OK..

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

no problem

What you might want to try is to disconnect the thermistor and let it run for about 6 hours. One end of the thermistor is inside the box on a fin and the other end plugs into the circuit board under the outside access panel. The thermistor will be a two wire connector and sits below a 6 wire connector, may need to remove the cover on the board to see. It will be marked P-2. Let it run and if the box cools replace the thermistor.

IF you have the same issue I suspect the cooling unit is the problem. IF the cooling unit is blocked sometimes tapping on the coils for the cooling unit will get the ammonia solution inside flowing again or pulling the fridge and flipping it end over end a few times and letting it stand level.

The freezer will always get cold long before the box will so very possible to have a cooling unit issue with the freezer working.

You can also disconnect the AC heating element wires from the circuit board and wire nut them to an old lamp or extension cord, turn the fridge OFF and plug in the cord, doing this bypasses all the controls and provides a heating source, no cooling after a few hours BAD cooling unit.

A cooling unit will cost 1/2 of what a new fridge will and the labor is more to replace a cooling unit. In the shop it is about 4 hours to replace the cooling unit vs 1 1/2 hours swapping it out with a new.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. Robert

OK I will try these things and see what happens

Sounds good, let me know if you need more help.

Robert