RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Rv frig dometic 2x2 does not run going down the road.

Rv frig dometic 2x2...

Rv frig dometic 2x2 does not run going down the road. Control set on automatic. Temp goes from 33 degrees to 54 in 4 hrs. Keystone is telling us that the frig is not guaranteed to run while traveling down the road.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

It is a Keystone 2018 Montana 5th Wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the Pontiac in?

??

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

No we are still under warranty, it is in a shop.. Dealer is telling us that it's not guaranteed to run as we're going down the road.

7/20/2019
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

IkOk

Good afternoon! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I fully understand the frustration you can have when things aren't working the way they should. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your fridge . And I apologize for the delay in someone getting to your question! Thank you for your patience. Sometimes we get overwhelmed with questions and some of our techs may be on vacation. I just got back from one myself.

This is basically true if you are trying to run on LP mode. If you get a small inverter you can run it on AC mode and have better success. The batteries will stay charged up from the tow vehicle and unless the air flow is affected by the air passing over the vent so that it sucks it out instead of allowing it to move up through the cooling unit this should work. If not, you can make a small vent adapter to push cool air up into that area. If this is installed in a slide out this is a larger problem and part of that may be due to improper installation. The actual model number off the data tag would be helpful here and allow me to add more.

I hope this points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me again later if you need additional assistance with this as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. Thanks! Randall in RV

Thank you for your information. We are having an inverter installed at the cost of 1200.00 - 1400.00. I do not have a model # as the unit is at the dealer. The frig is the 2x2 and yes us located on a slide out. We as RV people for 40 some years had never heard of such a problem.

I am not familiar with a "2 x 2" designation here. And I don't think you need that fancy of an inverter as this only uses about 400 watts at the most. Unless this is one of the larger models and then it would be about 650 watts. The installation specs should be checked. Most are not correct.

Also we did travel to Az this last winter and the refrigerator at that time parked and traveling worked correctly.

I can assist you with that later if you want. Many poor cooling issue are from that alone. If this is on LP mode then have the LP working pressure at the tank regulator checked and adjust up to 12 Water Column Inches.

Dealer is telling us that our frig is attached to most of the outlets so the majority of the cost is labor, up to six hours to do wiring.are you connected with Dometic Mfg Co.?

Way too much time! Several hours would be sufficient in most cases. I install these in my shop all the time. And no, I am an authorized repair center for them and have my own shop.

Your saying several hours. More than 6?

Maybe shop around. And a good Xantrex 1000 watt Pure Sine Wave model is only about $300 or so. I install those in about 3 hours or less. Unless you add more batteries you don't want a larger model anyway.

Thankyou, appreciate your input.
Labor at the dealer is 120.00 an hour.

Even so, 3 hours would only be about $360 so the total cost should be about 1/2 of what they quoted you. I only charge $98 an hour.

Thankyou again for your help.

You are most welcome! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Thanks! Randall

55357;�

10-4

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
5th wheel is still at dealer. I called Dometic Mfg. yesterday they told me the problem us most likely either the propane gas line or the control board.
We have gone ahead with the inverter at this time. We will see if that works. If not I'm afraid we are in for a battle which is unfortunate and not quite sure how to proceed. I don't plan in driving down the road having to put my food from my frig/freezer in big coolers so the food doesn't spoil.

Pretyy much zero chance of being a gas line. Easy enough to check the LP pressure at the gas valve and jet. Maybe a board of the igniter isn't fully engulfed in the flame with the turbulence.

Thank you again for your time.

You are most welcome!