RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Anytime anything is plugged into GFI in the camper it trips…

Anytime anything is plugged...

Anytime anything is plugged into GFI in the camper it trips both the GFI circuit and the house breaker. But no fuses or circuit breakers in the camper get tripped. What can cause this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Its a trailer not an RV

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

1999 Jayco Eagle

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, we are. Plugged in all appliances individually using and extension cord to the house electrical and they work. Replaced GFI in bathroom in camper

7/17/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

When we plug the camper into a house plug (20amp) it trips the breaker in the house. We have isolated it to be related to the GFI outlet and replaced the GFI in the kitchen but have the same problem. What other things should we check?

One thing I have seen over the years is if your water heater has an electric option or AC heating element on it and if it is shorted out then it can cause this. I have seen some RV manufacturers wire the AC power for the water heater with the outlets. IF you have that option I would disconnect the AC heating element wires from the water heater and see what happens.

I would also check each outlet that is not working and look for any loose, melted wires etc.

Try another power source as well if at all possible, need to make sure the supply source is not causing the problem, adapters and extension cords can also be problematic.

A polarity checker might also revel if you have a wiring fault. Most places like Home Depot sell them for a few dollars.

I am sorry not able to call at this time. I was at the ER last night and not feeling the best. Another RV expert may take the call if they feel they can assist you.

I can still try and help you in this format as all follow ups are included.
Robert

Ok...chat then

Just follow up here as needed.

Thanks, Robert

Thanks Robert. Ok so I may have inadvertantly left the water heater on after our last trip last year. I did have the electricity hooked to the trailer and it worked for a couple days before we started having this issue. Could very possibly be related to the water heater being on with no water in it, i bypass it when I winterize...this is our first time having it home this season and I was working on dewinterizing it.

Bingo. I think that very well could be it. Isolate the AC power and then disconnect the AC heating element wires and see what happens.

Robert

Ok. Thank you. We'll check it out....and cross our fingers...We were supposed to leave for a camp trip today but now we have electrical issues : /

Yes fingers crossed. Let me know if you need more help. I will be in and out today, need to be resting thought I ruptured my appendix but turns out bad stomach virus. I will be checking in throughout the day.

Robert

Robert I'm going to send you a picture of the water heater wires...can you tell us which ones we should disconnect? I will send pic in a couple minutes... we have a 1999 Jayco Eagle fyi

Sure....

You can add photos into your reply using the paper clip icon on the page.

Robert

So the element is actually on the opposite side click HERE for a service manual and you can see on page 14 what it looks like yours will probably screw into the tank. This means you probably need to go inside and remove some drawers or a false panel to get at it. Access can be a challenge sometimes. Might have a protection cover over it as well that you need to remove. Please isolate the AC power when checking.

Robert

OkWe should disconnect the wires from the heating element; correct?

YES just make sure you have the AC power OFF when messing with the wires.

Robert

Robert you did it!!!!!!! It was the water heater everything is working!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for the update.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a star rating on the page, tips are also welcomed.

Happy Camping. Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert...one last thing...Tip on how to remove the element so we can replace it?

You probably are going to need to soak it in penetrating oil for a few hours. Should be 1 1/2" socket.

Robert

Thank you!

No problem at all. Robert