RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold 2118 freezer only getting to 21 degrees and frig at…

Norcold 2118 freezer only...

Norcold 2118 freezer only getting to 21 degrees and frig at 55. moved thermistor toward lower middle no effect.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Heartland big country 2018 3560ss

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. we had a certified rv mechanic out last year and replaced the external thermistat that controlled 3 outside fans. this work for a few months.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

On our trip home yesterday (3 hours) the freezer got down to 19 and the frig got to 44. once we stopped to unload, temps went back up. additional, throughout the weekend we noticed a lot of condensate in the outside resevoir. and no frost on the internal fins

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 day by:
7/16/2019
RV Mechanic: Walt-Mod, Moderator replied 3 years ago
Walt-Mod
Walt-Mod, Moderator
Hello: I'm Walter, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still need assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel. Thank you! Walt~Moderator
I would like to continue
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Ok. What do you need ? My phone is+14195094828

Good morning! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I fully understand the frustration you can have when things aren't working the way they should. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your fridge. And I apologize for the delay in someone getting to your question! Thank you for your patience. Sometimes we get overwhelmed with questions and some of our techs may be on vacation. I just got back from one myself.

If you moved this down instead of up you went the wrong direction. In the shop we always test the LP working pressure first and then the thermistor to be sure that hasn't failed. This is almost always an issue with one of those things or the batteries or the cable connections. In this case, it sounds like it might be from a short in the wiring if the heating element is good. They would need to be checked to see if that is the case. These are the most commonly asked questions we see here on this site every day. If the batteries haven't been serviced and load tested recently as is required and the cable connections cleaned then this is likely to happen. Most places that sell batteries can load test them for you. Just be sure that you mark the cables first and take a photo of them first so you are sure to get them back the same way again. Easy to get this wrong if you don't. Be sure to clean the ground lead to the chassis as well. Even brand new batteries fail more often than most people would think.

If you have or can come up with a small digital multimeter like you can find at most local hardware stores we can check the voltage to control. Sometimes the problem when is with the shortstop breakers in that circuit. When the voltage is too low the amperage spikes and trips them or they become damaged from heat in the circuit and won't pass the proper current through them any longer. Most have a red cover over them and a small black button on the copper post end that you push back in to reset them. Be sure that the fridge is level and if this is situated in a slide out room please let me know as those have installation issues sometimes that keeps them from cooling well.

I hope this points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me again later if you need additional assistance with this as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. Thanks! Randall in RV

Phone service is an option and upgrade and incurrs an additional charge.

One of the most critical things on this model is the installation. It HAS to be to the specs given and I find that about half of them aren't.

Thanks Randall. I question whether it was installed correctly. One side had no insulation and a big gap at the top. I don’t have the rig here so will need to get back to you. It is installed in a slide out. We noticed a lot of condensation in fridge. Kept filling up the external condensate bowl. This was hooked up to 30 amp shore power all weekend. On the 3 hr trip home it was running on gas and temp went down to 44 in fridge and 19 in freezer. Weekend was in the 90’s during the day and 60’s at night. Tried running external fans continuously but that nothing to cool unit. We also tried switching to gas while parked. No affect. I’ll try what you recommended and get back to you. Any thoughts on door seals. Doors don’t seem to close firmly. We have Norcold 2118 4 door refrigerator.

There may be multiple issues here. The installation sounds like it was not correct and needs to be corrected. And the hinges may need to be replaced. Some photos would be good here on the view at the top vent so I can see it. Randall

Will do probably not till tomorrow

10-4.

Randall
Went to rig earlier. Battery output was 12.8 volts. How do the batteries come into play when hook up to shore power? I have some photos
CEBCCE0D-9365-4C43-840F...jpegCEBCCE...jpegFB37DC53-C7D5-4A29-BD08...jpegFB37DC...jpeg5A0D974D-4101-4C5F-9B3B...jpeg5A0D97...jpeg3FA8FE28-4F15-42BC-99F7...jpeg3FA8FE...jpeg69CFAA46-3788-40DB-B58D...jpeg69CFAA...jpegF2736CD1-A15A-40E1-A27F...jpegF2736C...jpeg
A few more photos
03384BB0-4CC5-4B62-AB4C...jpeg03384B...jpegE7606788-C259-4957-97BD...jpegE76067...jpeg3BE61DE4-6CBF-4D7A-80F5...jpeg3BE61D...jpeg13C59655-DA66-41B7-999A...jpeg13C596...jpeg3CAA6892-BC58-4FA5-A0B5...jpeg3CAA68...jpeg
These are of inside back of slide out.
623A0D7D-E701-4F66-8E35...jpeg623A0D...jpegB6B1AA36-4030-415C-83DB...jpegB6B1AA...jpeg00CA612F-ED47-4DAC-9D08...jpeg00CA61...jpeg22350DD1-24F7-45C3-AAF2...jpeg22350D...jpegDFF9E154-0D28-4874-A712...jpegDFF9E1...jpeg

I will have to get back to you once I have had time later to look at all these photos.

I have also included a video of the doors. They seem real loose. Unfortunately this site doesn’t like my video format. Can I email to you?

If we have a phone chat you can. I can't leave personal information on this format.

Ok. The video shows right side refrigerator door definitely would fail the dollar bill test.

So you probably need a new set of hinges for sure. I will have a chance to look at those photos later today and then I will get back to you.

Thanks

I am ready for a phone chat. When is it good for you?

Are you going to need me to be at the Rv? Will the refrigerator need to be running on ac or dc power? The time of our call will depend on these answers. Probably afternoon EDT

It would be best if you were. I am in California and available every day in most cases from about 5 a.m. until about 10 p.m. Pacific time.

Will you need refrigerator running? Ac or dc?

It does not have to be running. If you have or can get a small digital multimeter that would be helpful here. About $20 or so at most local hardware stores and easy to use.

I have one. How about noon EDT (9 PDT)

That works. You have to hit the accept on the phone chat before my number will come up for you.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Randall I’m not an expert with voltmeters so I’ll send you a pic of my meter

10-4

I am at the rig awaiting your call

Sorry for the delay.

Randall, I have reviewed you although I don’t think we are done yet. I insulated and made lower and upper baffles to improve air flow. Hinges are on order but I think that my problem stems from the center flap not positioning properly. Will advise when I get a chance to get back over to the Rv

10-4

Randall
Interior door flap was sticking on the “made in USA” sticker at the bottom of the refrigerator. Once removed the flap closes nicely. I believe the issue is resolved. Thanks for your help.

Great! Thanks for letting me know.