RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2018 cougar 5er. Dometic refer not getting cold freezer is…

2018 cougar 5er Mechanic's...

2018 cougar 5er

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cougar yourself? What have you tried so far?

Dometic refer not getting cold freezer is good keeps ice and staeks frozen?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am fixing myself not happy with the dealer

Dometic model # DM2852 ( manufactured in 2017) freezer is @ 5 degrees fridge is at 60 degrees
7/6/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Normally when you get NO cooling in the BOX on BOTH LP AND AC power it could be a thermistor or cooling unit problem.

What you can do to see if it is the thermistor is to unplug it from the circuit board and let the fridge run, doing this should put the fridge into a full cooling cycle. The circuit board is located outside under the access panel and has a removable cover. The thermistor is a two wire connector that sits right below a six wire connector. Unplug it and see if the box cools, if so I would replace it.

The other issue is the cooling unit, it can rupture or become blocked. For a rupture you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge.

FOR a blockage you would have no cooling in the box on BOTH LP and AC power. The freezer will always get cold long before the box has a chance so it is very possible to have a cooling unit problem with the freezer working. Sometimes taping on the cooling unit coils on the back of the fridge will help get the ammonia solution going, or pulling the fridge and flipping it end over end and letting it stand level for 12 hours or so can help. There are no guaranties and more times then not the cooling unit has to be replaced.

IF it cools on one source and not the other it is not a cooling unit or thermistor issue.

Hope this helps out some.
Robert

I have tested the thermistor OHMs and is within range . my question is it possible for a unit that is 1 year to have a blockage already? I have tried burping and I also bypassed the controls and plugged the element directly to 110volts.

If you bypassed the controls and got no cooling then it is the cooling unit.

I have seen brand new cooling units out of the box bad and some that last for 30 years.

I know this is not what you want to hear and I doubt Dometic is going to do anything under warranty, I know it is a bad spot to be in.

Robert

That is what I had figured just wanted a second opinion before purchasing a new cooling unit, do you have one you recommend ? I see there are few different ones out there

Atco is pretty good, click HERE for them.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
awesome thanks Atco was on my short list .

No problem at all.

Robert