RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our RV is plugged in but the refrigerator will not turn on.

Customer Question
Our RV is plugged...

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?

It is a Norcold and it is17 years old. I believe it is N62X

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

I just tried to turn it on today and this is our first use offer storage since last summer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I was wondering if it is the fuse and how to ch class.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
6/23/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

IF the interior light and the display panel is not turning on then you may have a blown fuse on the DC side. The fridge requires DC voltage to turn on and work.

IF you have a volt meter you can check for voltage going into the circuit board. IF you have NO voltage on the DC supply then you have a blown fuse on the RV side.

IF you have DC voltage at the circuit board remove the cover, under the cover are some fuses, one is for the AC side and one for the DC side. Unplug the fridge, remove the cover on the board and check the fuses. You do NOT want to touch the AC fuse when it is plugged in.

Click HERE for a service manual see page 7, fridge will not turn on.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

The light is on and the RV electric plugs work, so it is probably not the fuse. What else can I try?

Have you tried to run the fridge on BOTH LP and AC power. IT sounds to me that the fridge has power and the box is not cooling. Big difference to it NOT turning ON.

Robert

When you are on AC power you will not here anything at all, under the outside access panel is a flue canister, the heating element goes into the canister and provides the heating, after a few hours that area where the heating element is should be VERY hot to the touch. IT is going to take a good 6 hours for the box to cool off.

IF the flame is going and nothing happens after 6 hours and it will not cool on BOTH LP and AC power you could have a thermistor or cooling unit issue. I can get into more details on that if you like.

Robert