RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2003 WINNEBAGO ULTIMATE ADVANTAGE AIR CONDITIONING NOT

2003 WINNEBAGO ULTIMATE ADVANTAGE...

2003 WINNEBAGO ULTIMATE ADVANTAGE AIR CONDITIONING NOT COOLING ENOUGH

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

It is the basement unit that cools the entire rv. We are at a park on shore power.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '03 RV?

2003 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40k diesel pusher

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to figure it out. Checked all of the fuses on the rv and checked the power coming into the rv. Don't know how to check "Freon" level, etc. or where to check We called the regular mechanic that comes to the park and he does not work on the basement units.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We can't leave the park right now because we are also having a problem with our hydraulics. We were going to try to level our rv again and the slides would not come in. Sounded like a slow drag where they only came in a few inches. Then, we tried starting the rv and letting the batteries charge more (per Winnebago). Tha didn't work and only had another slide come in partially. Then tried our jacks and they came up, very slowly, but will not go back down.

6/15/2019
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

OkayThis is fine. Let's do it online.The air blows, but does not blow really cold. The other day when it was 90 outside it stayed 87 inside.

Good evening! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I fully understand the frustration you can have when things aren't working the way they should. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your DC power system.

I think that both of these problems are related. Many of the RV systems depend on good 12 VDC power and in the shop the first thing we do is to load test the batteries and clean all the cable connections, including the ground lead to the chassis. If the batteries are approaching 3 years old they may be failing. Those symptoms you described are the result of low voltage. Start there. Most places that sell batteries can load test the for you. Just be sure you mark the cables and take a photo first so you get the hooked up correctly. Easy to get this wrong if you don't. Thanks! Randall in RV

What other questions do you have in regard to the air? I need to know what type of "Freon" goes in the unit, how to service it, etc.

These are sealed units and have no charging ports. I am going to get the Coleman manual for you. The testing for this is pretty complicated.

I am having trouble with my BASEMENT AIR CONDITIONING and my HYDRAULICS. Let's talk about the basement air conditioning and the questions I asked you.You mean you cannot add Freon or coolant?How do I know that it is a "coleman" product. Is there a model number, etc., label somewhere that I can check?

See the attached link HERE. No. These would have to have charging ports added. Most HVAC guys won't work on them.

How do we get it "cooler"Is there a specific thing that we can do to help it cool more efficiently?

This is the only brand and model that Winnebago has ever used. It is NLA, but there do have a new unit now to replace it. It would have to be checked and tested as per the manual link I gave you. Not easy and not a DIY project.

Okay with that issue.

Solve the low voltage issue first. That may be causing this. It may be too low to allow the compressors to work properly. Control boards have to have the correct voltage.

How do we solve the "low voltage" issue?Can an HVAC guy check this?

You have to start at the beginning here. No shortcuts. That is not the way it is done and we don't just throw parts at the problem. HAVE THE BATTERIES LOAD TESTED.

Not trying to take a "shortcut", trying to figure out what to do and who to call.

I gave you that instruction at the beginning. Any HVAC guy that is not familiar with this unit may not want to tackle this. It is a complex unit.

For the THIRD time, have the batteries load tested! Start there.

Okay. I will look at the manual. Did not do that as of yet. Based on your response, I am assuming that I have an HVAC or who do this?????Sorry, you may be the expert, but I am a novice. PLEASE HAVE PATIENCE!

Most mobile techs would be able to do that for you.

We had a mobile tech out to check our batteries, etc. because of the hydraulic issue were are having. That is the other part of my questions to you. He said all of the batteries were good. He said we need a hydraulic pump, but we wanted a second opinion before we spent the money there.

Please pay attention to my recommendations. We are always busy on weekends and I can't repeat myself all the time here. Thank you!

As to our hydraulics, we tried to bring in our 3 slide outs and the first one I tried came in a few inches and sounded like a "battery dying". We called Winnebago and they said to start the rv and let the batteries charge and try again. We did this and the slide out only came in a few inches again.

If he didn't load test them he was just guessing and I would get another opinion. Be sure you ask them first if they have the experience to do this. And if they don't have a certification then pass. They may not know anything and are a "tech" in name only! Randall

He then told us to check the hydraulic fluid and add fluid. We did that but the slides would not move at all.He then told us to try bringing up the jacks. We did that and they came up....very slowly, but are now up, and stuck up.We had the same tech check this. He said it was the hydraulic pump.It almost sounds to me more like we are having some type of issue that is affecting our cooling and hydraulics and ???

For the last time here. Have the batteries load tested!!! Anything else is a waste of time until you rule this out. I hold a Master Technician Certification and have been on this site for almost 10 years and have had my own shop for nearly twice that long and I teach this material to people like you at the local JC. He was wrong! I'll bet he didn't even put a pressure gauge on the system to check it!

We would take it in if we could get the 3 slides to come in, but they will not move and we do not know how to bring them in.Okay. Will find someone that is "certified" (not sure if the one the park here uses is) and have the batteries load tested and then get back to you. Thank you for tonight and don't work too hard. I will take your advice.

I have answered this same question hundreds of times. Please follow my instructions. You need to have the batteries removed and taken in for testing. If you can't do that then have someone come and do it for you. All the cables have to be cleaned and that includes the ground lead to the chassis. You are most welcome! Have a good evening!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Thank you for the most generous bonus! Always nice to be appreciated here.