RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Water heater won't stay lit on gass. Water heater won't stay…

Water heater won't stay...

Water heater won't stay lit on gass

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Water heater won't stay lit why it's and gas

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Mallard 2019

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried to get the water heater to light

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The sparker does not sound like it is Lighting

Mallard 2019It will light with a lighter but goes out. Checked fuses checked lines checked fuelsparkler is not working this is new only used camper 3 timesActs like it might be the mother board.Also will not get hot on electricDSI light comes on after trying
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the make and model of the water heater?

Should be a sticker under the outside access panel.

Thanks, Robert

Without the information requested in my first/previous response, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps.

It will take a good 40 mins for the water to get hot on electric.

IF the electrode is sparking but it is not lighting off it could be a LP pressure problem, faulty circuit board or electrode.

We have to assume the LP pressure is good, go to the main LP tank and shut the valve, slowly open it back up, sometimes if the valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you may not get the proper pressure, slowly open the valve up and then run the stove top for a few mins and try the water heater again.

IF that does not help I would blow out the burner tube really good and make sure nothing from production got inside the tube, this is located under the outside access panel, make sure the electrode or what does the sparking is gaped at 1/8".

Could be the board especially if it is not heating on electric, the board can be tested with a special board tester, most RV stores/shops have the board tester.

Might want the dealer to have a look as well, being a 2019 any issues like this should be covered under warranty, I understand this is frustrating owning a brand new RV and not having hot water, from my experience many times you have to get the bugs worked out on brand new units, they should have checked the water heater before it rolled off the production line.

Hope this is helpful. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic