RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I lit the refrigerator in my trailer this morning for the…

Customer Question
I lit the refrigerator...

I lit the refrigerator in my trailer this morning for the first time this year.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Sorry...I sent to soon. I turn on the refrigerator in my rv for the first time this year. Awhile later there was a strong smell of gas inside the rv. I've checked the fittings I can get to for leaks, there are none. The flame is blue--no yellow that I can see. What else do I check?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

1995 Dutchmen classic. Refrigerator is a Norcold 460

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to fix it if possible. I've checked for leaks around the fittings I can see. The flame is blue--no yellow that I can see

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I know

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
6/8/2019
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good morning! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I fully understand the frustration you can have when things aren't working the way they should. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your fridge.

Was that "gas smell" ammonia and if so that would indicate that the cooling unit has failed and this will need to either be rebuilt or the fridge replaced. That sucks, if this is the case. Both options are expensive. I can give you some repair costs on this if you want to go that route, but that is a pretty old fridge and some of those parts are NLA, so that might not be a good idea.

Some of these were under recall and if that was never done you might get some great help from Norcold. What is the Serial Number and I can look that up for you. Randall in RV

That phone number is(###) ###-####and I would give them a call.

The smell is propane, not ammonia.

Then turn that LP off and call Norcold anyway! Those had a leaking gas valve recall from these catching fire. Do not attempt to use this at all. They will replace the fridge if it has never had the recall done before. Randall