RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our Atwood water heater will not light. Our Atwood water…

Our Atwood water heater...

Our Atwood water heater will not light

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Our Atwood water heater will not light

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2018 falcon f20

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Falcon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Followed.the instructions . set on pilot push reset and put flame to burner area for 30 secpnds

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/4/2019
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good morning! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I fully understand the frustration you can have when things aren't working the way they should. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your water heater. What is the actual model number of this water heater? Is it trying to ignite or not? Randall in RV

I will get the number. It is not trying to light

See the attached link HERE for the Atwood Service Manual. Print this out so you have it. We can use this for our trouble shooting. Randall

If you have or can come up with a 12 VDC test light this is easy to check out. About $10 or so at most hardware or automotive stores. I can direct you in some testing.

model number is *****

That is a manual model. On that version you want to be sure that the LP working pressure is up to specs. The regulator at the tank(s) needs to be checked and adjusted at least once a year. You want it set to 12 Water Column Inches. Most places have a manometer to test it if you take it into them. If that is bad and won't adjust into specs I would go with an MEC Marshall brand as they are the best. Randall

Light up a stove top burner first and let it burn for a few minutes to equalize the pressure in the lines. Be sure that the LP is all the way on at the valve.

That did not work. :-(

The burner doesn't light or what? You need to have the regulator checked to be sure it is working correctly. If so, then the valve on the water heater is suspect.

The burner lights. We let it run for 5 minutes. The water heater will still not light. Our rv is new. The dealer lit it with ease.

Are you holding the button down long enough? Turn it to "Pilot" and hold it down and insert the flame stick in there at the burner until it lights and then hold the button down for at least another 20 seconds and let up. It should stay on. Then you can turn it to "On" and it should come on.

Will try

10-4

It is ON!! Not sure what was different but Thank You!!

You are most welcome!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification