RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Chirping on the Jayco redhawk panel near door. 2018 Redhawk.

Customer Question
Chirping on the Jayco...

Chirping on the Jayco redhawk panel near door

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2018 Redhawk

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked fuses, disconnected house battery, turned off propane

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No. Chirps every 15 seconds while driving. On the road.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Aired out the vehicle for fumes.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
5/27/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

When you disconnected the house battery did the chirping stop? IS the LP detector in this area where you are hearing the noise, the panel near the door you are talking about is your breakers and fuses in this location, normally a chirping sound is the LP detector that sits near the floor and they can go off for low DC voltage, it is possible it is wired to the chassis side as well, the only way you know if it is the detector is to disconnect the wiring going to it and see if the sound stops. IF the sound stops and you have good DC voltage then the detector is the problem and may need to be replaced. Aerosols and even the chemicals from dog food can set them off if it is placed right under the detector.

Robert

Chirping did not stop when the battery disconnectedAre you talking about taking off the panel and disconnecting the detector wiring

YES if the detector is on that panel I would disconnect the wiring, and see if the noise stops. IF you have good DC voltage and do not have a LP leak then I would replace it. Smell in the lower cabinets as well, LP will sink to the floor level and become stagnant. You should see the face of the LP detector near the floor most have a light and a reset button on them, you hold the button in to reset. Robert

We reset and reset the detector. Constant yellow light, then a separate blinking light when chirping then a red light belowWhere do you disconnect the wiringThe constant yellow light then the blinking yellow light and the red light for propane blinks 5 times.

You would have to pull the detector out and disconnect or cut the wires to the detector, they can always be connected back together.

IF you are under warranty you might want to have a shop take a look as well.

It sounds to me the detector is faulty, again if you have good DC voltage going to it and no leaks, no reason it should be going off, most will have two screws on the face of the detector if you remove the screws you should be able to pull the detector out and access the wiring, there should be some connectors within 18" of the detector.

Robert

Looks as if you might pop it off but no screws that we can seeDesperate to get it to stop. On the road and a holiday and no one open. We’re tried stops at RV center and campground to get help

It may have tabs as well on the sides that hold it in place as well which would need to be squeezed from the back side to allow it to pass through the cabinet where it is mounted to.

Hard for me to say for sure, most will have screws that mount it to the cabinet. Need to gain access to the wires and disconnect them.

It is possible as well that it might have a back up battery in it as well.

I understand your frustrations and I am trying my best to help you, if you can send me some pictures of the detector I may be able to give you some more input on this, you can add photos into your reply using the paper clip icon on the page, we are not allowed to share personal contact information for privacy reasons.

Robert

Wires can be accessed from inside the drawer. Black blue, red, pink wires

Do you see a connector at all and are you sure they are going to the detector and nothing else?

black wire seems to be hard wired into the detector. Can’t see any connectors

OK Can you tell me what the name on the detector says?

ATwood

Give me a few want to check something.

Robert

Looks like the face on the detector will come off and then expose the screws, click HERE for a manual, that should be your detector. IF you want the noise to stop cut the wire going to the detector, it can easily be re-connected with a wire nut or a butt style connector. Look the manual over as well it may help out.

Robert