RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2009 Monaco Camelot motorhome. Rolling down the road and…

2009 Monaco Camelot motorhome...

2009 Monaco Camelot motorhome. Rolling down the road and everything on the dashboard/instrument panel froze up. Speedometer, tachometer, odometer. Next day went to start and all gauges were frozen at running temps and pressures from previous day. Turned off main battery switch then back to on and all gauges/instruments pegged out zero.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Headlights turn on. Battery appears to be fully charged. Motorhome is drivable. Just lost all functionality of operating instruments. With engine running and park brake set speedo is frozen at 55mph, tach is zero, air bags zero,fuel quantity zero,trans temp zero,oil press zero, coolant zero, diagnostics inoperative, driver info screen blank. Cameras are ok. Radio ok. Trans control panel ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Monaco yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just me. Checked all fuses in roadside front electrical panel. Only circuit with no power is F16 ignition slideout lockout.

Any action on my post?
Please respond
5/14/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

I think you helped me before in locating the fuse for my carbon monoxide detector.

Sorry for the long delay. Electrical issues like this can be difficult to diagnose.

What I would do to start off is disconnect the chassis battery cables for about 10 mins, make sure everything is clean and tight. Next I would check all the connectors going into the dash area, unplug any plugs you see for the dash and use a little di-electric grease on the pins. Make sure the grounds are secure, you should have a ground bar or point all the wires are going to. I am pretty certain this also uses a module that reports the info to the dash, it could be an issue with that as well since the engine starts and runs. For some time they were using a Medallion system and they are still in business, you would also have medallion gauges to match up with the module. Issues like this are complex and you have to access the dash area and start tracing the wires out.

I suspect a good RV shop that is familiar with the Monaco product can troubleshoot this in about a hour of labor time.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Cancel subscription