RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

RV question: Xantrex 458 flashes "LOW BATTERY" and

RV question: Xantrex 458 flashes...
RV question: Xantrex 458 flashes "LOW BATTERY" and "OVERTEMP/OVERLOAD". Also, the shore power plug has been replaced twice due to "burning up".I presume shore power goes through this inverter, that also has an auto transfer switch, but I'm not personally familiar with this model inverter. This is for an '06 Fleetwood Discovery (diesel). Would like some input from someone whose familiar with the electrical systems on this thing and how its wired up.
5/4/2019
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Thanks for the request, but I do not know the answer. I will opt out

Ok, thanks
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good morning! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I fully understand the frustration you can have when things aren't working the way they should. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with Inverter and my name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this.

Do you have the User's Manual for this or not? And that message is usually due to batteries that are too low in charge or failing. In the shop we do a load test first and find out if the batteries are even viable. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you. Just be sure to mark the cables and take a photo of the hookups first! Easy to get this wrong if you don't. Then get back to me and I can direct you in some testing.

You will need a small digital multimeter like you can find at most hardware stores for about $20 or so. Easy to use. I am around every day here. Thanks! Randall in RV

Hi Randall,Yes I have the manual and I've spent a good amount of time familiarizing myself with it. The LEDs blinking signify an error code which translates to "backfeed detected" on the inversion side. I'm not a the coach but I have a good amount of knowledge in electrical. This inverter has a built-in auto transfer switch. What I don't know is how these coaches are typically wired. Does ALL the shore power go through the inverter and then into the 110 panel, or are the inverter (input) and 110AC panel energized separately?I have a load tester and will be checking the battery bank as well.

Only the power for the branch circuits that this inverter feeds are affected. Those are usually either one or two plug circuits and most of those have a GFCI plug in them that control the rest of the string. The rest of the AC power goes directly to the load center out of the main automatic transfer switch. Does that answer your question on this? Turn those off and see what happens.

I take it the main auto-transfer switch switches between shore power and the generator? The fault codes suggest a backfeed on the (inverted) branch circuits. What do the branch circuits normally feed on a coach like this? How do these endpoints (appliances, etc) switch to shore power when its available? Are you saying the A/C power from the shore line that feeds the converter portion of the inverter must first pass through the main auto transfer switch?

Yes. Most of the plug circuits in the coach work off the inverter. Shut those off and see what happens. Does this clear up or not. Most inverter issues are battery related. I would have them load tested to be sure they are viable.

Unplug everything inside one at a time and see if this clears. The GFCI on those inside should trip if there is a problem.

Unless someone removed it from the circuit.

The fault code (by the manual) indicates the inverted circuits are being backfed. I intend to load test the batteries and so on. Can you explain how a single appliance can be wired to feed from BOTH by the inverter and by shore power?

They can't. The inverter may be damaged and giving a code like this. These can be rebuilt.

Which is what I asked, what circuits would be fed by the inverter that would not be fed by shore power? If, for instance, the inverter powers the microwave, then conceivably you'd have two separate receptacles, one fed from the inverter while the other from the panel. I'm wanting to understand what you meant by "most of the plug circuits work off the inverter"--- unless you mean *through* the inverter, and its own auto-transfer switch which either inverts or acts as a pass-through device for shore power.

No. When you are on shore power ALL the circuits are fed by that source. That power just goes through the inverter via the internal transfer switch. When no shore power is available then that open ups and the inverter supplies just those one or two circuits by itself. I suspect that the inverter transfer switch is damaged. Testing it at a repair center is the only real way to tell. I would eliminate all other possible sources first.

Alright that gives me something to work with, Impossible to say without testing but it should be as simple as putting a voltage probe on the a/c output (inverted) side of the box. If it's hot, that would indicate a backfeed. If not, the inverter unit is faulty. Have I missed anything?

I don't think so.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Alrighty then. Thanks

You are most welcome! And get the batteries load tested.