RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I left the lights on in my RV. It was jump started and now…

I left the lights...

I left the lights on in my RV. It was jump started and now when I attempt to connect to the same shore power I have always use it trips the gfi.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Headlights.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2003 Pace Arrow fleetwood

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have shut all breakers off and attempted. This happened to me last year. At that point I started the built in generator and all was good after that.

4/26/2019
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

OkIf my memory serves me correctly I had a similar problem last year but after I ran the RV on the onboard generator the shore power worked fine. That’s didn’t work this year.

Good evening! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I fully understand the frustration you have when things are not working as they should. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your shore cord and power system.

It sounds like the charging system may have an issue and is sending some feedback to the source. If that is a GFCI controlled outlet that may trip. IF this isn't a GFCI outlet then it may be some overload. I would do two things. I would have the batteries load tested to be sure one isn't shorting out internally and most places that sell batteries can do this for you. Just be sure if you remove them to mark the cables fist and take a photo of the hookups so you get them back in again correctly. Otherwise it is easy to get this wrong. Once you find that out we can test the charging circuit. Not hard.

I hope that will prove helpful here. Please get back to me again later if we need to dig into this more deeply. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. Thanks! Randall in RV.

Most batteries can begin to fail about 3 years old. And the cables should be cleaned of any corrosion including the ground lead to the chassis. Fleetwood coaches seem to have more issues with this than some of the other OEMs. Randall

I am going to sign off for the evening. I will be back again tomorrow morning at about 6 a.m. Pacific. I am here every day and will respond as my schedule allows. Thanks! Randall

Many forums suggest some bussman breaker may have failed. But can’t seem to find this breaker. The indicators in the RV show 12+ volts for both power sources.

Have the batteries load tested first. Then get the wiring diagrams from Fleetwood Customer Service by calling(###) ###-####and giving them your FIN number. There are several Bussman shortstop breakers in the Battery Control Center. Have a good evening!

It doesn’t seem to do it off gfi outlet. But on a gfi it does. If I unplug the 2 plugs behind the fridge it is fine.

If those are working off the inverter then this is a battery issue. Get them load tested. It is the first thing we do in the shop.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification