RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We’re having issues with our Onan 5500 onboard generator for…

Customer Question
Hi, we’re having issues...

Hi, we’re having issues with our Onan 5500 onboard generator for our 2015 Keystone Fuzion 371. We’ve narrowed the problem down to the fuel tank to the generator. Is there a fuel filter at the tank or in between the tank and Genny? We have already replaced all possible parts for code 36 on the Genny itself. Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

No increase. Genny only runs for twenty-thirty minutes and then shuts off. Husband disconnected fuel tank hose and checked it with a fuel container. Ran like a charm for several hours. Appears problem is in the tank and line area.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '15 RV?

Keystone Fuzion 371

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Have replaced fuel filter, spark plug, air filter, fuel pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I’m at a loss.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/22/2019
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Hi Randall Thanks.

Good afternoon! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer. I have an RV repair facility and work on these for a living and I fully understand the frustration you have when things are not working as they should. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your genset.

The filter is at the set. I can tell you that it really sounds like the fuel pump may be failing as that is about how long they will run before they quit. I have seen this in my shop numerous times. That would be something I would check. Or it may be an air leak in the line. This new fuel is very hard on fuel lines.

I hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me again later if you need additional assistance with this issue as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit. Thanks! Randall in RV

If you don't have one already I would get a copy of the Onan Service Manual for this set as that has a bunch of good diagnostic information in there. I usually get the best buy on Amazon for my customers on fuel pumps for these. Randall