RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We just bought a 2004 cougar 5th wheel. When I plug the main…

Hi we just bought...

Hi we just bought a 2004 cougar 5th wheel. When I plug the main cord into my house, it blows the fuse on the extension cord. Sounds like a dead short to me. Where do.i start to look for the problem please ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No thank you

4/17/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Are you using an adapter on your main cord with an extension cord going into a standard 110 household outlet OR are you plugged in direct, NO cords or adapters?

Thanks, Robert

I have a 2ft cord with a light in it. As soon as I plug the camper cord into it, it pops the circuit breaker in.the 2ft ext

Are you plugging into a standard 110 outlet? Like you would find in a house?

Robert

No thank youJust a standard outlet

Really important to know if you are plugging into a standard 110 outlet, it really is not recommended or you can cause all kinds of problems, you would be trying to pull to many amps through a very limited supply and it can trip the breaker. Some owners will try to do this and sometimes it will work on smaller RV's just enough for the power converter to charge.

My suggestion for you is to plug into a standard 50 or 30 amp service and see if you have the same issue. IF you do not have the same problem then I would wire in a 30 amp service, I can send you instructions on that if you like.

Beyond that I would check the polarity of the outlet the 110 supply is on most places like home depot sell the checkers for a few dollars.

I might also shut off all the breakers inside the RV and then see if it still trips, if not turn them on one at a time and see when it trips.

You might be chasing your tail and I would try at least a 30 amp service and see if you have problems, plugging into a 110 outlet on a RV that size just may not cut it, see it over and over.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thank you Robert !

No problem at all.

Have a nice day.... Robert