RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My power on my 13' starcraft Launch is not working. Where…

Customer Question
My power on my...

My power on my 13' starcraft Launch is not working. Where should I start

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

It's a Tow behind

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2013 Starcraft Launch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Breakera and fuses Breakers

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/17/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

ThanksMicrowave is not powering either.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the power.

Are you plugged into shore power or unplugged? IF you are plugged into shore power are the outlets, microwave and TV working? IT is very possible to have the AC items working but be missing the DC power which is the lights, furnace, fridge etc..

I just got your response about the microwave, how about any of the outlets have you checked all of them?

Thanks, Robert

Using a Honda EU3000 genNo Power at all

Have you tried plugging into a shore power source to see if everything works?

Do you have a volt meter?

Thanks, Robert

No shore power available. Not 30 amps

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

I do have a volt meter

When you plug the cord into the generator it should be supplying voltage to your main breaker panel inside, it would be the same as plugging the cord into shore power. I asked if you have tried shore power to eliminate the generator as the problem. IF you are using any adapters or extension cords I might swap them out. It is very possible the generator is the issue. The power should go direct to the breaker panel inside if you have voltage at the generator output I would inspect the breaker panel inside look for any loose wires, check to see if you are getting AC voltage at the main breakers. IF you are not getting voltage at the breaker but have generator output then it sounds like a cord or adapter issue. Look on the generator as well for any tripped breakers, they normally will have some type of overload protection.

Robert

Thats not the issue.Getting a Higher power generator

The EU 3000 is a 3000 Watt generator and that should be plenty to run what you need inside. That is actually a popular model RV owners use.

It may be hard pressed to run the AC unit with other items but it should be enough to run the outlets, microwave etc.

Robert

Ok then. Whats the next step

As I stated before all you should have to do is hook up the generator to your power cord and you should have power going right to the breaker panel inside, it would be as if you were plugging the cord into a supply source at a campground. 3000 watts is more then enough to run what you need. IT could be the generator is not making AC voltage and faulty or you have a connection problem with the cord or there is a loose connection at your breaker panel. Ideally the next step would be to plug into shore power direct and see if you have any issues, if everything works then it has to be the generator.

Robert

Have shore Power... Still Nothing

Does all your power work with shore power? All the DC and AC power. IF so that tells me the cord is not the problem or a problem inside the RV, has to be an issue with the generator.

Robert

AC is runningNo Lights or outlets

You have to explain a little better so I can understand you.

1. Are you plugged into Shore Power OR is the generator running?

2. You mention the AC is running, I assume you are talking about the roof AC unit but you are saying you have no lights or outlets, is this with shore power OR generator power or both etc.

Shore Power onlyLight bulbs are blown. Answers that. No Power to Refrigerator

IF you are plugged into a 30 amp outlet and the only thing working is the AC unit then there is an issue at the breaker panel. Unplug from power, shut all your breakers off in the main breaker panel, plug back in and then turn your breakers back on one at a time. Go around the RV and make sure you do not have a tripped GFI, these will be outlets with a test and reset button on them. The power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery. Without the AC power then the battery is not going to charge. Check the converter for a blown fuse, the converter will be part of the breaker panel and have two fuses with the rest of the fuses or the converter will stand alone and plug into an outlet. The stand alone style converters will have two fuses on them where the cables are coming out.

The fridge may have a fuse as well, it needs DC power to turn on and work look under the outside access panel for a circuit board, the cover comes off the board and will expose some fuses.

This almost sounds like you had a power surge or this was hooked up to 240 volts direct which is damaging. the light bulbs should not be blown out.

Might want to have a RV tech or shop take a look at this.

I will be gone for a few hours but will respond back when I can.

Robert

Fuse Issue. All good. Thanks a lot

Glad the problem is resolved and thanks for the update.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a star rating on the page.

Thanks, Robert