RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Rear slide will not extract? Press button and hear motor…

Rear slide will not...

Rear slide will not extract? Press button and hear motor turning but no movement

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

29000 auto

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2004 fourwinds windsport 35d

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, checked all fuses. Other slide works fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of...thank you!

4/16/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the slide out.

The key here is you can hear the motor running. I know for some time they used HWH hydraulic slides, if that is the case go the motor and you will see some solenoids, they will have wires going to them they are round cylinders that screw into the manifold. Have someone hit the switch to extend and feel the solenoids mark the solenoid that you feel click when the switch is pushed. Next hit the retract on the switch and feel the solenoids again, you should have an extend and retract solenoid for the room. What you can do if you can id the solenoids is swap the wiring on them and see if the problem changes, if you do this you would hit retract and the room should extend, when you hit extend the room should retract if the problem changes then you have a bad solenoid. That would be the number one cause on a HWH system.

To through a wrench into this sometimes you might find a hydraulic room and an all electric room. IF that is the case and you have an all electric slide I would find the motor and check to make sure you did not sheer a pin where the motor connects to the room.

IF you happen to know the manufacturer of the room or can get me the info off the motor I might be able to assist you some more.

Robert

Yes that is a HWH hydraulic system. IF the motor is running have someone hit the switch inside and feel the solenoids, one should click each time you press the retract and another one should click each time you hit the extend, once you know the solenoids swap the wiring and then go inside and hit retract and see if the room extends, in your picture I do see two solenoids, i am not sure if there are more on the back side of the pump.

Robert

I have 2 other ones on other side...I switched the wiring on each side separately back one with back one and front with front and nothing changed...same sounds no movement.

You need to feel the solenoids when the switch is pushed in both directions to see if you have the correct ones. IF you have the correct ones and that did not work you could have a bad slide-room cylinder. I doubt it is the pump if the other room uses the same pump as the bedroom. Normally the solenoid is the problem.

What you may want to do at this point before having a shop take a look is contact HWH direct they do have technical support for owners, I can tell you they work off a call back log and then will only call one time. IF you do call them look for a sticker on the pump or tank with an AP number, that is how the identify parts. IF you need to get the room out normally what you can do is open the 1/4" nut on the solenoids about 5 turns but you have to make sure you have the correct ones, after you open the solenoids you should be able to push the room out with two people, one on each side. Then shut the solenoids. Then repeat to get them in.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert

Thanks Robert! And for clarification which 1/4" nut do I open the retract solenoid or extend solenoid or both?

I would do both just make sure you have the correct ones. The 1/4" nut is in the center of the solenoid.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a star rating on the page.

Thanks, Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic