RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Trying to plug my RV in at home. It has an inverter

Trying to plug my...

Trying to plug my RV in at home. It has an inverter dedicated to refrigerator. With an adapter it was plugged into a 110v outlet and the inverter pasted the ac through to refrigerator. I have a 50 amp outlet in garage that I had for my welder. I changed the plug to a 4 terminal 50a RV outlet. The 50a circuit has black wire, red, white, green and grd. Black to white reads 120v, red to white reads 120v. The inverter won’t pass power through to refrigerator. AC units work fine as does everything else.. Why doesn’t the inverter like the 50a service.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Yes, there is no fuse or breaker to the inverter

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Volt?

This is a 2019 palomino Solaire RV

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had an electrician check the circuit and outlet.

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/16/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks,Robert

I am going to give you some info on the proper wiring so you can verify everything with the supply, a 50 amp service is two 120 hot legs coming into the RV to equal 240 volts, not 240 direct as that can be damaging. It sounds like you have it wired correctly and the problem could be with the inverter. Most inverters will have one or two breakers on them on some they are hidden on the side of the inverter, IF you have not done so shut the inverter off and then power it back on and check the breakers on the inverter. IF your AC power is wired up correctly then it should be providing voltage to the outlet the fridge is plugged into. IF everything checks out I would have the dealer look at it, I would not disclose at all that you plugged into an standard house outlet or they are going to blame it on you, I would just play the dumb card so you are covered.

Click HERE for the 50 amp wiring, this is what I like to show customers who are thinking about a 50 amp service.

Hope this helps. Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic