RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I I have a 98 Jayco with a atwood GC6aa-9a that I am

I I have a...

I I have a 98 Jayco with a atwood GC6aa-9a that I am replacing and was told the direct replacement was Dometic 96117.I purchased one and there is only 3 wires on the back where the GC6aa-9e has 6 wires 3 on the top and 3 on the back and Im not sure if I have the correct unit

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

The wiring diagram that came with the dometic shows the 3 wires on the top but mine doesn't have them

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '98 RV?

Jayco 293 Fifth Wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing I don't want to put it in unless I can wire it correctly

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Wondering about the 6 wire to 3 wire difference

4/10/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

IT appears to me with the model numbers you supplied that your old water heater was a direct ignition model and the new water heater is a pilot model.

The difference is the old one you turned a switch on inside the RV and it would get the flame going, the old one would have had a circuit board. The new style water heater click HERE does not have a circuit board and you manually have to light it off outside. They both have an electric element feature on them meaning you can heat the water when you are plugged into AC power. IF that is the case I would think the three wires on the new one are only for the heating element to wire it up. Then you would light off the LP outside and you would not have all the extra wires. Want to be sure on this as they are different styles of water heater, it still will fit in the enclosure bit a difference on how the LP is lit off.

Let me know if this does not sounds correct to you would need to verify the model numbers again.

Robert

Click HERE this would be the replacement for your old one as it is direct ignition and has the circuit board. When you switch to the newer style direct ignition normally a new dual switch plate is required as well.

Robert

if I installed the 96117 would the electric element be on all the time with no switch on the wall?

It should have come with an installation manual that shows the wiring, I know on some they come direct from the breaker panel to element so anytime you are plugged in the AC heating element will be energized. Look at the wiring schematic for the AC wiring. I do know on the new model that is direct ignition they use a relay to energize the element and it gets 12 volts from the circuit board, this model has no circuit board so I suspect it needs to be wired direct unless the schematic shows a switch, it will still fit in like the old one. the only worry about having it on all the time is you need to remember to turn the breaker off for the water heater when no water is in the tank and you will be plugged into power.

Hope this helps you out.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic